Strange Continental Lighting Desk Formats

Bryson

I'm just looking at a tech spec for a continental dance company. I think they're from Oslo. Anyway, it contains this little part:

We bring showfiles in safari, vlc, expert and ascii formats

Now, I'm hoping that the ASCII will play nicely (via Showport) with my 300, but it occurs to me that I've never even heard of Safari, VLC (I assume that's not Video Lan Client, because how would that have LX info?) or Expert (Again, unlikely, given the context, that they mean Pearl Expert) It's a normal-ish rig (it has some Atomics, 5k fresnels and LOTS of parcans. Quite Rock'n'Roll, really)

Does anyone else know these formats? What are they?

The VLC Safari and Expert are both Avab desks - so they're not going to be of any use to you, I'm afraid. Your only hope is that the ASCII format is something that Showport can deal with. To be on the safe side, it's probably best to make sure they know that you're on a Strand 300 and that they need to bring a paper plot with them!

Those are all Avab consoles, now supported by ETC.

Channel intensity data should come through Showport perfectly.

Attributes for intelligents may be more difficult - I've no idea what Showport does with those when importing from ASCII.

Part cues will almost certainly fail.

You can look at the raw file and work it out if necessary, as the ASCII these consoles produce is fairly user-friendly to look at.

A Congo would load the show directly, but then you'd expect that as it's the latest in the Avab line!

Archived