Line array !!! Are they too good "General chat"

bjkered

Ahhh the S218. Good sub, not known the blackline range subs be used with the Lines before, the WMX in groups of 4 can throw out a little bit of bottom end that is for sure.. as of course can the WSX.

Never used a hang of 9 of the stuff either, just 3 or 6.

How do you get on with the 12J monitors? never been a fan of them, LE400's on the other hand I've had alot of success with.

Sorry, maybe answering that would swing too far OT.

Rob, have a listen to the WT series, just like passive Meyer UPA, superb!

Was having a dig about, and found an answer to the OP's question, with a picture, You can NOT do this venue justice without line array. This seemed to get a stunning sound in there, and not a complaint from any punters... brilliant.

12 LC in two hangs, L and R, 8LM and 2LMD a side for side hangs, with a 8 WLX (amzing Martin bins) under the stage.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s9/rustybrooks1978/DSC00031.jpg

Point source just dosn't cover it in this place.

Bjkered, let me know what you think when you hear it with your CDs, I'm a big fan of this stuff, so would b interested to hear your, and indeed anybody elses views on them.

Second go, as the first vanished without a trace...

... just like passive Meyer UPA, superb!

I hope you are not refering to the Meyer UPA-1, which is, in my opinion, the worst sounding loudspeaker ever made, and by some margin. (search BR for previous rants). Anything else that sounds like that I don't want to hear.

The above pic comes from the Royal Albert Hall if I'm correct. I have to say that there is no perfect solution for that venue - what makes good sound in there is understanding the oddities of the room and having a great team of engineers. LA does involve a whole lot less boxes, but a point source array does work well if correctly designed.

Happy to let you know after we have a "quiet " session with CD's. Not forecast until May unfortunately, when I know I will be out with this rig at the start of the festival year, for me any way at the moment.

Thanks for the comments was intrigued and hadn't thought of the change to CD from vinyl the post earlier INTERESTING :huh:

As a "vet" of the old "24 W8's either side and 40 WSX on the floor" days, I must say that the development of the Martin Line Array has been a god send for In/ Out times.

I can understand what the OP says about the "clean" sound, but put most of that down to a lack of comb-filtering these days.

Also the improvements in efficiency from the hi-end don't help by showing up many "average" bands as just that. As PA develops the musicians are running out of hiding places!!

But I must take issue with the accusation of Martin sounding "American" (bursting into flames as I type smiley!!).

Martin Audio are one of the few quintessentially British loudspeaker manufacturers left preferring to put in the development work on their products rather than being the "first (and invariably worst!) one on the shelf".

We waited a good while on the W8L, while others were tossing about Geos and such with joy and fun I was humping W8C's and WSX into 50 footers. But I wouldn't change it for the world, the W8L is a fantastic box (price v power/ clarity)and the introduction of the 8LD (downfill) was another inspired addition to a wealth of quality products.

Being a dedicated Martin user I am a bit biased :) but in general I feel that the sound produced by the W8LM along with the clarity percieved at a good distance multipied by the ease of rigging and derig make the line array boxes a superb alternative to the normal ground stack method.

With regards to bottom end grunt the Blackline S218 provide a fair bit of low end in the near field but lose the impact at distances over 45 mtrs

With rock bands I tend to lift the crossover point to about 180Hz to provde a bit more energy to the system.

all things considered I think line arrays are still one of the best systems for a hire/touring company to have in their inventory.

But as with everything sompe people love them some people dont :) Thats Just Life

Interesting you should say that about the crossover. I suppose it would depend on whats above it, is that using the W8LM on top?

Also, the S218 will lose impact at big distances as will alot of similar subs. WLX and WMX will do the same, just double the number you have :)

Archived