Gauze for dissolving between scenes

Frag_Me

Hello chaps,

Having never had the chance to use gauze before (Only in second year of A-Level Drama + Theatre Studies) I've come across a bit of a problem with an exam piece which I am covering lighting for. My design calls for two separate stage areas, one front, one rear, the divide through which the audience can see at times I require. As far as I am aware, a type of Gauze is necessary for this sort of effect.

Linky

Would the above gauze provide this type of effect if properly lit? I understand that as long as a blackout is maintained on the side I don't want to see then only the other side is visible (to a point, obviously). I've looked at other more expensive gauzes but as this is only a college project I'm on a limited budget.

I posted this thread in this folder due to the amount of cyc talk that goes on, but apologies if it should be elsewhere.

Cheers,

Leo.

Leo

One of the most common gauzes in use for stage is the sharks-tooth gauze, though by no means the only one.

The basic tenet for all gauzes is the same, however - in that front and/or top lit they become opaque, and either reflect what light is shone at it or the picture that's painted on it. Back lit with NO front light they become semi-transparent, and thus you can see action/set behind the gauze.

The differences between the types of gauze, as I see it, is what sort of lighting direction works best with them. Most of my gauze work has mainly been with basic sharks-tooth, but I've always found it works fine, though often a little play with the lights you have will be necessary.

Remember when you are lighting the upstage area keep all light off the gauze from the back - ideally keep the actors about 2' away from the gauze and light them appropriately in that area. Light hitting the back of the gauze will make it more difficult to see through....

Thanks for the tips folks, unfortunately the stage area is fairly small but I'm hoping that using lots of barn doors and suchlike should shield the gauze appropriately.
You're not actually trying to shield the gauze when lighting from the front - only when lighting the scene from behind.

Ok, I see what you mean - when lighting from the front light as normal, when lighting the back avoid spill onto the gauze and no light at the front.

If I were to light the front and rear simultaneously with no spill onto the gauze what do you think would happen?

Ok, I see what you mean - when lighting from the front light as normal, when lighting the back avoid spill onto the gauze and no light at the front.

If I were to light the front and rear simultaneously with no spill onto the gauze what do you think would happen?

You'd have confusion.

You'd see a faded picture (if there's one painted on the gauze) and a shade of whatever's behind. Plus you'd see shadowy movement if bodies are behind the gauze.

Although if you had very tight lighting downstage - off the gauze (maybe just a tight profile coming in from the side) and the same upstage with absolutely nothing hitting the gauze you MAY get away with it. Unfortunately as you say the stage is quite small then will have a few more problems than someone trying to do the same thing on a larger stage.

I think that you might just need to experiment .......

• 3 weeks later...
yep, that is how I'd interpret it - the roll is 5m wide and it's sold by the mtr. dont forget that if you by it like this, you'll need to sow on tapes at the top to hang it, and you need a little extra depth as you have to hem the bottom and put something heavy in it to strech it - otherwise the creases wreck the effect. Typically metal conduit is used, (as in the surface mounted steel stuff that electricians use to carry out surface wiring in industrial buildings) is used - with couplers to allow you to store it properly. Alternatively, a bit of chain will do, but isn't quite so good on a gauze, as it can bend

As long as there's no spill at all on the gauze from either side that can certainly be made to work so you'd see both. Obviously, the front will be most obvious but if, for instance, you had some steeldeck behind the gauze to raise the cast up that can work rather well. It's an effect I used a few years ago for Children of Eden, for instance, in which God appeared behind the gauze and raised up on deck. He could be seen on his own or with the rest of the cast and could appear and disappear at will.

Super, it'll all be the in the experimentation I suppose!

I'm buying in my materials this week - the idea is to have a "screen" on the backdrop flat of my set through which the actors can be seen at certain points, and at one point be seen to be looking in. The time when both of these are likely to be needed at once is when the main stage area is at a low level anyway so this shouldn't cause too many problems.

As always, I'll let you know how it goes! Performance is on May 10th.

Archived