Motorised hoists.

frazer

Hello,

Sorry if this has already been brought up. I did look but might have searched with the wrongs words.

In the college theatre we have a motorised hoist which is used for the onstage grid. As far as I know, it is has never been formally inspected since it was installed in August 2005.

Is this a problem that I should talk to my management about? Or is this perfectly normal?

Frazer

The people who installed it would have sugegsted a recommended test interval. We have replaced all our cable hung front of house bars, and as they never, ever get dropped - the company rated these winches as bi-annual inspection required, while the over stage electric winches must be tested before brought into use each year (we close Ocober to Easter) So it depends on your installation - the period between inspections just has to be reasonable depending on the usage and risk.

There are a couple of issues here...

The equipment should be inspected at regular periods in line with LOLER (Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations), which is at least once per year.... The operator also has responsibility to ensure that there is nothing wrong prior to his use.

You also have a servicing issue: The equipment should be serviced in line with the manufacturers recommendations, which is normally set by the use you are giving the hoist. If its on constant use it should be serviced more regularly.

If you have a notifiable incident with any piece of lifting equipment and the HSE are informed. They will ask you for the following information to show that you have done everything within your powers to ensure that the equipment is "fit for purpose". If you cant provide this, they may even prosocute the owner of the equipment, as they have the ultimate responsibility.

They will ask you for the following:

Original declaration of conformity from the manufacturer (birth certificate bearing the hoists unique serial number)

LOLER Inspection reports (full history)

Hoist Service's (full history including what was found and what remedial work was carried out)

The same goes for all you load rated items... shackles, roundslings,

ANYTHING THAT IS LOAD BEARING / RATED FOR LOAD IS COVERED BY LOLER, HOWEVER INSPECTION PERIODS ARE DIFFERENT FOR LOOSE TACKLE / RIGGING. (THE MAX PERIOD BETWEEN LOLER INSPECTIONS IS 6 MONTHS).

Hope this helps... drop me a line if you need any further help on LOLER or lifting related matters.

Archived