New Member from Canada

Kevin

Hi all,

I'm a new member (obviously) from Canada. Now, as I understand it, there are several differences from UK theatre (electrical, mainly) and North American theatre. Would anyone care to point out any major differences so I don't end up making a fool of myself here?

Thanks,

Kevin

Hi, and :blink: to the Blue Room.

Your concerns about making a fool of yourself are unfounded, the fact that Canada uses North American terminology and practice won't be held against you ;) There are a few other members from your continent... Probably more than mine!

Welcome :blink:

from my work over in America the main differences are terminology,

electrics wise, we hardly use 120V anywhere! its 230 generally,

also I've never seen twistlock in a UK theatre yet (thank heavens!) its mainly CeeNorm & 15A South African stylee plugs

oh yeah, its an Adjustable Wrench, or AJ. not a C-Wrench (see, there's terminology again ;) )

Stan

not of course that there is anything wrong with Northern American Lingo!

No, of course there isn't. At the end of a gig you can put your C-wrench into your fanny pack, sling the whole thing into the trunk of your automobile (make sure you don't get the wrong end and put it under the hood), shut the trunk (which is probably made of aluminum), fill the automobile with gasoline and drive off along the highway - making sure, of course, that you don't mount the sidewalk. Yes, the Yanks have got the right words for absolutely everything, haven't they?

Hi Kevin!

What part of Canada do you come from? I'm originally from that neck of the woods (born Vancouver Island, grew up Alberta, did the drama course at University of Calgary). I moved to the UK for a year or two's adventure back in 1976 and sort of got stuck!

As for terminology, it's not so daunting and usually you can tell by context. The only tricky one I found is that a Grelco (or it's newer cousin the Squelco) is sort of a two-fer in a single block as opposed to being split cables!

Bob

You missed one or two:

No, of course there isn't. At the end of a gig you can put your C-wrench into your fanny pack, sling the whole thing into the trunk of your automobile car (make sure you don't get the wrong end and put it under the hood), shut the trunk (which is probably made of aluminum), fill the automobile car with gasoline and drive off along the highway - making sure, of course, that you don't mount jump the sidewalk.

Cheers, mate!

-w

You missed one or two:

Well, I don't speak fluent American, I'm afraid, so I was bound to make one or two mistakes! As Al Murray would say - "We're two nations divided by a common language ... and a f**king great big ocean, thank Christ!". :) ;)

Well, I don't speak fluent American, I'm afraid, so I was bound to make one or two mistakes!

I just didn't want anyone thinking we were more eloquent than we actually are. ;) Oh wait, look who our President is... :(

I don't like the U in color, but I love the S in realize,

-w

Whether or not you like the U in coloUr isn't really the point, though - it's called ENGLISH for a very good reason. ;) (Although, being Welsh, I suppose I shouldn't really care! :()

I have to admit, though - for someone who's supposedly the most powerful man on the planet, your president does indeed seem to have the most amazing trouble in stringing a coherent sentence together (even when he's simply reading out something that his speech-writers have written for him!).

Would anyone care to point out any major differences so I don't end up making a fool of myself here?

The one that gets me all the time here is the slang: I still don't have a good definition of busking in my mind...

A few that stand out to me (from an American perspective): hook clamp not c-clamp; movers not moving lights; prompter-side = Stage Left; generic not conventional; desk not board; CV not resume'; hire not rent.

I'm sure there are a few more that I just can't think of right now.

And two tips: no text-speak, and check your spelling and grammar.

Welcome!

-w

The one that gets me all the time here is the slang: I still don't have a good definition of busking in my mind...
A busker is one of those people who plays an instrument in a public place hoping for donations (one or two steps up from begging?) Some, especially near the music schools are very good indeed, but most make it up as they go along. Hence "busking a show" is when things are a bit less preplanned that a straight play for instance.

Archived