Wireless comms

Blame Jono

Ive been getting annoyed by comms for a while.

The usual breathing in your ear when someone doesnt turn their mic up. Some gimp shouting through their headset and then realising that this time they have turned their mic off.

Or maybe its just me.

But the most annoying thing is the cabling for it. You have a silly belt pack which nobody ever puts on a belt and falls of anything you put it on and when you do finaly find a place for it it means a cable from the pack to your headset. THe last show I did, I had to take my headset off to change a CD because the cable was in the way.

Do wireless comms exist. A nice stylish recharging station with a wireless headsets, totaly independant. Could even be used when riging when your walking about and then you wouldnt have to shout.

And if they do exist, how much? And are they any good or are they more like a set of kids walkie talkies with a range from your house to your front gate.

Canford sell wireless Techpro comms, but they're not cheap.

http://www.canford.co.uk/blueprintonline/b...robeltpack.aspx

Alternatively do what a friend of mine did and buy some wireless mics and IEM's from ebay and wire these to a headset connection. Same result for much cheaper, although you might need to put a switch inline with the mic connector.

• 5 years later...

Guys,

I've managed to get a 5-way used wired system on eBay for £570 (bargain I think!)

But it would be nice to have one wireless pack, as I'm going to not be based in one place, I'll be all over the place, where as the others are OK on wired as they'll pretty much be in the same place all the time.

But as you guessed, I'm on a budget. I can't stretch to the cost of the proper wireless packs, much as I'd like to. And our level of use of the system would mean I wouldn't be able to justify the expense even if I saved up.

We were looking to do a similar thing as mentioned above - wireless headset mic and in ear monitor taken from 4 pin XLR into a wired pack.

Question: Can anyone confirm this is possible, and provide pin-outs for the 4-pin connection?

Thanks in advance!

morning,

you can of course buy a radio system and IEM and interface that with the techpro system, by the time youve bought something half decent (and possibly not post 2012 complient) and the canford line alancing box thingy, its proberbly not far short of uying canfords cheaper radio comms station- last time I spoke to canford at plasa about this it was going to be under £1000 street price, dont know if it actually came about- I believe the canford system didnt use Radio mic frequencies but was in fact infered?

A couple of the theatre's I work in, have had radio comms implemented, it serves a purpose but with considerations.

1) no mic kill like the radio headset , tho you could fit one inline to the headet if you wished.

2) the radio set cannot "flash" the wired system and vice versa- so the radio set operater always has to have his cans on (not a problem I imagine, and can only raise attention by talking (assuming someone is on the ring to talk back)

3) bare in mind that by using radios and IEM this limits the amount of other radio units you wish to use, unless you have a license and can use more.

4) On the two systems I currently "interface" with, there is a very slight delay in the radio set between taking and hearing it back in the radio headset- we dont know why this is- think its just down to the kit

5) the IEMs we use have a much better transmission and range than the radio sets we use- so can e quite annoying when it goes out of range or drops out and you can only hear on the radio comms (not a bad thing at least you can still give commands)

6) There is always the danger that a vital command is given and due to dropout on the radio set the command isnt done-

I think on the whole it works, but you need to optimise the system for the space in which its working, one of the theatres you can use the radio comms from the control box right through the side corridor and onto the stage (25 mtrs maximum distance) yet the other theatre the system is optimised for backstage usage only.

We found running remote antenna for the radio mic system really helps, the IEM makes no difference.

dan

Was about to mention the HME kit. Saw it at Plasa Focus.

I had one or two questions over it though - It uses the 2.4Ghz band - just where wireless routers, DMX and spycams sit. I wonder if this spectrum runs the risk of becoming very overcrowded (though with current wireless changes, is there really anywhere else?).

I also felt the headsets were a little lightweight, though of course these could be changed.

They do one headset that has the beltpack built into the headband with buttons on the side of the earshell. Not sure whether I like the idea though.

The guys on the stand said they were good for about 75m and a passthrough one decent sized wall. Would probably do for most theatres.

The beltpacks are nice and small, with easy to change battery packs. They are very durable too (the guy threw it on the floor while I was there and I guess he was doing it with everybody else all day!).

The price was pretty hefty, at least compared to a wired solution - about 4k for a 4 beltpack system I seem to recall, but don't quote me on that.

I had one or two questions over it though - It uses the 2.4Ghz band - just where wireless routers, DMX and spycams sit. I wonder if this spectrum runs the risk of becoming very overcrowded (though with current wireless changes, is there really anywhere else?).

Like all those other devices it is frequency hopping, so channel congestion is a little less of an issue. Going forward with ever more RF gear that may not remain true. As will all microwave wavelengths it has far less penetration than we are used to with longer wavelengths like UHF, or better yet VHF. It is possible to use a bidirectional amplifier to raise both the transmit power and the receive sensitivity, and external antennas with gain will help as well. The slight latency is due to the AD and DA conversions. The irritating effect of hearing yourself phasing can be lessened by setting the sidetone to null yourself out of your beltpack.

The price was pretty hefty, at least compared to a wired solution - about 4k for a 4 beltpack system I seem to recall, but don't quote me on that.

As with all pro level RF comm systems it is not cheap. I think you will find most of the other high end systems are at least that much money.

Mac

If you search around, there is a way of building a bridge between industrial 2 way radios and clearcom systems somewhere on the web...

Whether I would do it is another idea, but it's cheap. It is simplex however.

M

• 3 years later...

Archived