USB DMX devices

andrewb

I need help choosing one of the usb DMX devices out there. I have a rig with sixteen intelligent fixtures and around fifty conventionals. This all fits into one universe.

Now, I've been looking into a Whole Hog 3PC (been using the console for a few years) but the price off the DMX widget($1525 USD) is deterring me. Basically I need to know what's the next best thing. What's most important to me is that the software package be of professional quality. If I have to end up going with the Hog 3PC I will but I atleast would like to know what's out there.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew

Hello Andrew

I have had some experience using hog3pc and a widget,

I have also lot of experience using Jands Vista via a PC and S3 wing , having programed a few events and shows just using a laptop with the usb to DMX dongle,

The other system you might want to research is the chamsys as this as well can use a dongle and also add wings as and when needed or afforded.

the hardest part of this is learning and becoming proficient on a new console.

A word of warning, the hardest and most time consuming part of programing without any form of rotory encoders is the focus positions it is a real pain if you will be constantly redoing or changing focus groups spend a bit more and get a wing.

Thanks for the input.

As mentioned above, I'd really like to get go with the Hog but my local dealer is quoting me $2,500 USD which is one heck of a markup from the quote I got from High End ($1525). I just feel like I'm getting robbed there.

I'm checking into Jands Vista. You mentioned you have had a bit of experience with the system. Compared to the Hog III software, how would you rate the Vista software? While it doesn't have to be "pretty", I am looking for something that operates fairly smooth.

Hi Andrew,

Have you looked at LightFactory ?

A package is available for $590 for 1 DMX Universe License and 1 USB Pro DMX Interface.

(The USB DMX Interface is the commonly referred to Enttec box)

You can download the software to have a look from the website.

A Playback/Submaster Wing and ShortCut Wing are currently available, with a Program Wing due shortly!

Usability can also be improved with a touchscreen monitor.

I have been a user for over a year now and have been very happy with the software.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Paul

After playing with LightFactory for a bit I think it's the best option for what I need.

My reasoning is that most (note I said 'most') of the other software packages try to emulate a console. While they are definetely pretty they are not practical at all. It's simple really, you don't use a mouse to operate a desk console so why would it be practical to try to run an emulated version on a PC (or Mac).

What set LightFactory apart is the fact that it doesn't try to mimic a console but instead tries to offer a very intuitive interface for a mouse (or touchscreen). Now, I'll probably still end up purchasing a playback wing but it's the only software package I've tested where a wing is not *absolutely* necessary.

Besides, I can get the software, a dongle, and a wing for well under what I would have paid for one Hog 3PC DMX Widget (Whoever made up the price for it was smoking something very strong at the time...).

Thanks for all the help,

Andrew

Thanks Andrew.

Someone sent me a heads up on this thread and have just had a read. This is exactly why I started developing LightFactory - because none of the PC solutions on the market seemed very efficient interfaces. I do not know how people find desk emulators a usable environment to work with only a mouse.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions with the product.

Regards,

Martin

Martin Searancke

LightFactory Software

I use Vista PC and love it.

Im going to be fitting a touch screen to my iMac if / when they release Mac version of the software. Will be great sitting in the control box running the lights off a touch screen mac.

Also, I dont have a S3 but if I had the money, I would buy one. Nothing like grabing a fader or pressing real buttons. With the Vista, its still fairly new to the market (compared to the hog), and there are some areas which need to be improved, but I think the price relexs this. It is an awesome desk, and we should be seeing a software upgrade soon. Highly recommned you download the demo software of there site and give AC a ring.

Justs my 2 cents.

Mic

Vista PC looks promising and I've played a bit with the software. However, there's a problem. My local dealer doesn't carry the usb-DMX adapter and I haven't really been able to get a quote from anyone else.

Does anyone here know about how much the adapter "should" cost?

Archived