Mobile Stages

Peter Russell

I know this isn't theatre related but I wonder if anyone out there might be able to help...

I am trying to find a company that hires the kind of mobile stages that you see used on the radio 1 roadshows, i.e. an artic trailer (or smaller) that has a fold out stage.

I have an event coming up that happens on three consecutive days on the Strand in London but has to disappear overnight.

If anyone knows anywhere I can find one or has any better ideas then any help will be greatly appreciated.

Peter

Well, they are not cheap. However if you want it to disappear quickly they really are the right answer. I have used the 10mx8m stages a couple of times, and rigging/derigging is really quick, as you can just attach your trusses and lamps etc, and then lift the roof.

HTH

John

not strictly relevant, but a bit of interesting history - the original Century Theatre was 2 or possibly 3 trailers hauled around the country which bolted together to form a complete theatre with stage, auditorium, tech kit etc etc. I think they were made out of old wartime bombers(!). It came to rest in a car park in Keswick where it was known as the Blue Box, I believe, and has since mutated into the Lakeside Theatre. (A bit shaky on details - apologies to anyone who knows better!)

So not a particularly new idea, but, very effective.

the original Century Theatre was 2 or possibly 3 trailers .....

.... car park in Keswick where it was known as the Blue Box,

It was 4 trailers according to Snibston Discovery Park

and is now back in use as a theatre in Leicestershire.

However, I think the setup and strike time was measured in hours(days) rather than minutes, and so wouldn't be too much use in this case :D

Paul Drage

so that's what happened to it. I never saw the theatre, but in my days as a resident stage manager, I saw quite a few shows that had started there as part of their summer seaon whivh they then took on tour. very short scenery, I recall. Of course I see your point about the fit-up time...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived