Mac 250 and mode 4

u_dakka

The FatFrog has as one of its pre-programmed fixtures, a Mac 250 (mode 4). Now the lights that we're using at the union are Mac 250's - however I beieve they are running in mode 1.

Will there be a problem if I program it using mode 4? I know that it might flag up messages about overriding channels, but will that be able to be overcome?

Failing that, any places that would supply the fixture files, suitable for use on the FatFrog?

thanks

andy

PS it's the original mac 250's not the plus' and I've had a quick look round the net and only found this site to be of any good:

http://www.lighthouse.nl/download/fixtures...#martin_mac_250

however that's for martin show design, so im wondering if the files are going to be of the same format as what the FatFrog is looking for.

Change the mac's to mode 4?

Essentially mode 4 uses more channels than mode 1 so yes it would cause issues!

Contact Zero88 for fixture templates if you need to though...talk to Peter on the forums...

Tom

I think the fixture library can be downloaded from here:

http://support.zero88.com/main/en/product/9

or more specifically here:

http://support.zero88.com/main/en/download/342

I'm sure all modes are supported; I know I've used the 250+s in mode 4 on my mambo frog before now quite happily.

HTH

Peter (not the Z88 one)

<><

Edit: Sorry, just reread your post - would have thought it'd have mode 1 stuff in there too. Sorry for any confusion! :-)

Yep, I've just checked the library, MAC250 Modes 1-4 are all present.

Full list of MAC250 variants in the library:

CLICKYCLICKY
MAC 250 (Mode 1)

MAC 250 (Mode 2)

MAC 250 (Mode 3)

MAC 250 (Mode 4)

MAC 250 Entour

MAC 250 Entour Enh

MAC 250 Krypton

MAC 250 Krypton En

MAC 250 Wash

MAC 250 Wash Ex

MAC 250+ (Mode 1)

MAC 250+ (Mode 2)

MAC 250+ (Mode 3)

MAC 250+ (Mode 4)

Edit: Sorry, just reread your post - would have thought it'd have mode 1 stuff in there too. Sorry for any confusion! :-)
Indeed it does... If one takes a moment to read the description and fixture lists, one will see that said download includes modes 1,2,3 and 4 of the popular MAC moving heads.

u_dakka, a suggestion, if I may:

It always disappoints me when I see such questions here, because it implies that you have failed to read the manual, ask the manufacturer, or even Google.

Try the manufacturer's website first, then contact them if you cannot find the information you desire.

Reputable manufacturers will always help if they can, although it may take a couple of days.

u dakka movers need to be on the same mode and the same DMX channel ( remember to patch them on the fat frog ) as the fat frog .... I am the technician for a college and we use a fatfrog also zero 88 are very helpful both on this forum and there support forum (I need there help on a mover also and now its sorted so :) )

Edit :

Also check the cable isn't a crossover ( P2 hot to P3 hot ) it was the problem I had with my movers

Hi there,

Just download the fixtures list "Zero 88 Fixture Library Release 17.00 (297.9 Kb)" from http://support.zero88.com/main/en/product/9

save it on a floppy disk, put in into the fat frog and "select fixture from floppy disk"

Mac 250 is on there in all it's modes..

All though as it has been said, can't you get to the macs and change them to mode 4? That'd be my choice if I had one, all though the fixtures list is very useful thing to have wth your desk at all times of course.. So I'd download it anyway! :)

Chris

u_dakka, a suggestion, if I may:

It always disappoints me when I see such questions here, because it implies that you have failed to read the manual, ask the manufacturer, or even Google.

As was said in my post, I did google it - but wasn't sure what the file format would be like so was somewhat searching around invain. I was under the impression it would be a seperate file per fixture, I now know different. Although I went on zero88 website, I failed to make that magical link to assuming that all those fixtures was going to be in that file - I was actually thinking that the file was going to be the fixtures already loaded, as it were a backup (presumably incase you overwrote them - and so could rescue it).

As it happens other users have flagged up other problems which I might encounter - which is why I enjoy using these forums, as the other users mention other problems that they have had, and then when I go to the get-in I am briefed on a variety of scenarios (the place where I'm going doesnt have any internet access which I can use).

So while you are right in that there are a lot of people who use forums to get others to do their work for them, please remember that there are some people who aren't used to this at all, and so they need a few more pointers as to what to look for. I for one had absolutely bugger all idea what the file extension was for the fixture files.

hope you bear this in mind Tomo

andy

hope you bear this in mind Tomo
Yes, I do - hence:
Try the manufacturer's website first, then contact them if you cannot find the information you desire.
The people who work in the technical support departments are used to receiving questions from people who aren't entirely certain of the terms used.

Remember - if you ask the manufacturer or dealer, you will get the correct answer.

If you ask on an online forum, you may get answers - but you have no way of knowing if they are correct.

If you want opinions and suggestions - fora are great.

For specific information regarding specific equipment - fora will give you opinions.

Just to clarify, in Mode 1, a Mac 250 takes 9 channels, whereas in Mode 4 it takes 13. You need to patch the correct fixture profile to the desk, otherwise the channel allocations will be wrong and the fixture will see nonsence. The Zero 88 fixture library contains all modes for all fixtures, where the information is readily available. This has been linked to above.

If you have any specific Zero 88 related queries, please feel free to contact me directly via PM or email.

Archived