The Hawth, Crawley

dbuckley

Seats fold flat down against the ground, then the same as quite alot of raked seating just uses a motors to move into the walls. They have various bits to transform the venue so you'd never know they were there if you went in for a confrence.

I have to say I think the most impressive I have seen to date is the Brighton Dome's seating. I have no idea how that works but its bloody clever!

The seating is tiered, if I remember corectly you just unhook it and push it back. Takes just under a day to do it, but great fun ** laughs out loud **. Will try and find a picture to explain it better.

Best Person to contact is the Tech Manager, Chris Wilcox or Jim Smith. Chris Wilcox is on this forum.

The seating is tiered, if I remember corectly you just unhook it and push it back. Takes just under a day to do it, but great fun ** laughs out loud **. Will try and find a picture to explain it better.

Thanks, that would be cool.

Chris Wilcox is on this forum.

Chris! Look in your inbox :)

(Though to be fair, with the customary BR style, it'll be a bit late...)

The Lawrence Batley Theatre in Huddersfield has a sectioned auditorium on hydraulic lifts. The seats are in modules and just unbolt from the floor.

The seats are wheeled onto the orchestra pit lift, then lowered to sub stage for storage. Then the auditorium can be arranged into any formation from flat floor downwards - great for creating thrust stages, orchestra pits of any height, and conference spaces. The theatre was designed to convert into theatre in the round fairly straightforwardly, although it's not used that way very much (don't get me started on the lx positions!!!)

Takes a while to shift all the seats though....

• 2 weeks later...
Seats fold flat down against the ground, then the same as quite a lot of raked seating just uses a motors to move into the walls. They have various bits to transform the venue so you'd never know they were there if you went in for a conference.

Very Close... The main body of (raked) seating is bleacher style, so the rows of seats fold down, then each row slides back underneath the row behind. This eventually folds up,into multiple trucks about 2m wide and 4m high. The trucks then get put on castors and wheeled away to be stored in various other parts of the theatre. The hole (towards the orchestra pit) created by the rake continuing to below stage depth are then infilled with risers.

It's a pretty rubbish photo, but shows the top section of bleachers:

http://www.ott.co.uk/images/localinfo/crawley/hawth.gif

This was all done by muscle power, no motors involved (though I think other multi purpose auditoria - Northampton Derngate etc. - have some posh air castor arrangement for moving the seat sections).

In true "flat floor" mode, there is a continuous flat floor from the front entrance of the auditorium right to the back wall of the stage. In fact, when flat floor concerts are staged, a temporary stage has to be built on top of the existing stage surface!

It is also possible to do true "in the round" seating for snooker, wrestling etc, where the bleachers moved from the auditorium can be set on the stage.

It does take about a day to change round and is hard work - I think it just takes a bit of planning so that the flat floor bookings are (relatively) sensibly done.

By the way, I dont work at the Hawth (and haven't done for about 10 years so there's every chance that the system has changed) but I have first hand experience...

Hope this helps...

...a sectioned auditorium on hydraulic lifts.

Sounds like the New London Theatre. The lower stalls are on platforms that go up and down. There are also 2 revolves, one on stage and the other is the stage and the lower stalls. This means you can move seats to behind the stage and have it in the round. Very clever, shame it's had long run west end shows for most of it's life...

This was all done by muscle power, no motors involved (though I think other multi purpose auditoria - Northampton Derngate etc. - have some posh air castor arrangement for moving the seat sections).
I worked at the Derngate, recently, and yes, they do have an 'air float' system for moving sections.

Peter

• 11 years later...

Seats fold flat down against the ground, then the same as quite alot of raked seating just uses a motors to move into the walls. They have various bits to transform the venue so you'd never know they were there if you went in for a confrence.

I have to say I think the most impressive I have seen to date is the Brighton Dome's seating. I have no idea how that works but its bloody clever!

Hover bags! 92 of them across 15 seating blocks

Archived