Fire Safety and Doors

bluejudeto

So I'm doing a safety statement for a new venue and the Health and Safety Consultant's given me a draft of a master document.

Onto emergency's and evac and we read this;

"If you suspect that there is a fire on the other side of the door, open the door very slowly, shielding yourself as much as possible"

I'm thinking that's really bad advice and seem to remember reading/hearing something along the lines of if the doors warm don't open it...

Any opinions?

Guy

The firefighter method is to check the door and handle are cool enough to the BACK of the hand then attempt to open the door. Being cautious that there may still be fire, flame or smoke on the other side, AND there may well be a force from fire draught acting on the door, AND opening the door may also cause a backdraught and a flashover.

However if you get that far you need the breathing app, the nomex suit, helmet, visor and lots of water.

In an emergency situation you need to determine WHETHER to open a door. If you determine that you must open the door then the given advice is good

Maybe it should say - if you suspect a fire is on the other side of a door then do not open it and find another route to leave the building.

That has to be the safest way of dealing with it, unless you are a fireman/woman & trained to deal with such a situation in which case your training tells you what to do.

If that door is the only route available & you have to attempt to get out that way then yes the back of the hand on door & handle, and SLOWLY open, using the door itself to shield you should there be heat/smoke/flames.

May I also suggest that you speak to your local fire station - they are usually very happy to advise you so that mistakes don't happen when an emergency does occur.

Back of hand? If you find an exposed live wire, your muscles contract and pull you clear, rather than gripping it.

The explanation I was given for that is that the back of your hand isn't as used to hot objects as the palm of your hand is, and is therefore better at detecting heat.

But regardless, I'm also of the opinion that opening the door is a pretty stupid idea, as it will give what may be a smallish fire a nice rush of fresh oxygen, helping it grow into something larger.

The aim of emergency evacuation plans and procedures MUST be to get all people to a place of safety, that usually means OUT that usually means opening the emergency exits. Only in rare cases (hospital wards and nursing homes and the like) are the instructions to people different and SOME people should be put in fire shelters and collected later by staff and firecrew.

Do it yourself! Plan your way out of somewhere! My Uni (Aston at the Birmingham pub bombings time) had a total evac practise and added in to the scenario that one doorway WAS the fire hazard so it was closed. The orderly exit took longer than expected and the report to staff at departmental assembly points ....... BUT it sharpened everyones understanding of the possible course of events.

Your alarm and alert system should include and indication of the seat of the fire and fire marshalls have to have the plan to cope.

"Sister Frances is in the Foyer" Meant get out via the two emergency exits but do not use the foyer! at one (RC) venue

The explanation I was given for that is that the back of your hand isn't as used to hot objects as the palm of your hand is, and is therefore better at detecting heat.
And it maybe, but if there is a fire on the other side of the door, then the handle will be hot enough for any part of your hand to notice it. I was also told, by the local fire crew, who I know relatively well, that it is that the heat, like the electricity, will cause you muscles to contract. This would end up with you clasping the handle or wire, as opposed to being thrown off and letting go.

Archived