The History Of Stage Management

• 2 months later...

Time to drag out my favourite SM quote again:

Found in "Backstage" by Philip Godfrey (written in 1933):

The stage-manager must be gifted with uncommon powers if he is to live to a reasonable age. He must be capable of working sixteen to eighteen hours a day for weeks at a time, seeing as little daylight as a pit-pony, listening with polite patience to the complaints of actors about each other's behaviour and the inadequacy of their dressing-rooms, bearing with cheerfulness the blame for every stupid blunder on the part of his subordinates, while maintaining his bodily and mental efficency upon a diet of sandwiches and cups of coffee - or possibly bottles of stout.

So looks like not much has changed in over 70 years!

I'll root around my SM books and see if I can find something a littl less anecdotal, John!

This is a very tenuous link, so apologies in advance if it's not quite what you had in mind .... but for a small insight into some of the ways of stage management in the late 30's and early 40's, you could try "Northen Lights", the autobiography of Michael Northen. Before he became one of the first people ever to receive a credit as Lighting Designer, he worked in stage management, starting out as an ASM at the Q Theatre in London - the first couple of chapters of his book refer to this period, although perhaps not at the level of detail you'd need.

I think everyone on this forum should make and effort to try and go see the "Northern Lights" exibition at the Theatre Museum, Covent Garden, London.

ALD members should already know about this as its in the lastest issue of Focus...

The late Michael Northern (MBE) is known as the first Lighting Designer in the UK and to celebrate his lifetime achievements there is an exibition on at the Theatre Museum, until November 2004.

I havnt been to see it yet but am planning to over Easter, so if anyone fancys a few pints in Covent Garden give us a shout...

Jon

There is a great book, if I remember correctly its entitled "Stage Management- The Essential Guide" and is by Gail Pallin. Whilst it is actually more of a teaching guide to Stage Management, I'm sure it'd make refence to the history and development of the subject. Also, have you tried "Stage Management- the gentle art"? HTH :D

There is a great book, if I remember correctly its entitled "Stage Management- The Essential Guide" and is by Gail Pallin

Indeed, a good book and lives on the shelf in front of me but no history in it.

Thanks. I know Gail and her book doesn't cover the history of Stage Management, though I agree, it is a very good book. There must be some reference out there, somewhere......? You could logically assume that the role of the Stage Manager evolved from the Actor through the Director and eventually to the modern version of the role that we know today. As shows became more complex and demanding on the Actor/Director, there must have arisen the need for a separate individual to deal with 'everything else'. I assume that this role was the precursor to todays Stage Manager and every other department within the backstage environment branched from the original SM. What I want to know is....Who was this person? I realise that the original source will probably never be named as it will have been lost in history.....but we can track down who was first to have it on their pay slip as an official job title (i.e. made Tax contributions under the heading 'Stage Manager'). When did the acting profession turn into a legitimate job and was no longer an amateur occupation? The truth is out there...(to coin a crap phrase). A box of creeping charlies to the provider of any clues.......

Regards.

Archived