Best laptops for projection

Dave

Hi,

I'm thinking of upgrading my projection laptops. I'm currently a Toshiba user but I am thinking of switching. I'm primarily interested in the corporate-range models from:

Dell (Latitude D series)

IBM/Lenovo (T series)

HP/Compaq

Toshiba (Tecra)

Any suggestions? Is there such thing as an industry standard? I see all sorts of machines on jobs so the answer's probably no.

Thanks

Dave

I would recommend doing your homework on graphics cards as that is the main thing which is going to effect what you are doing, especially if you want to do things like show video on the secondary monitor. I have a ATI 9200 graphics card in my Sony Vaio and it works effectively for video on the secondary monitor. Many higher spec laptop graphic cards now support this feature, but if it is important to you, it is always worth checking it does it effectively.

This may sound strange, but on some of the new Sony Vaios (and other makes) they are no longer puting the screw-in HD15/VGA/15-pin D-sub (whatever you want to call it!) sockets on the graphics card output. This is not a huge problem, but if you want to ensure the connector is not going to come loose/fall out during your presentation, (by knocking it or having to move it into position for example) then I would recommend finding a laptop with a screw type connector.

I hope you find this helpful.

Cheers

tp

If you have equipment that has DVI inputs, then it might be worth considering something with a DVI output. To my knowledge the only machines that have this are the Apple Macbooks/Macbook Pro. Now being Intel chipped machines they will run Windows, so you can give clients Windows PowerPoint. The Macbook is via the Mini DVI.

Although there is a native PowerPoint for OSX, there are still a few inconsistancies with the transitions types between Windows and OSX, and the way that the Mac and PC handle images. So on occasions the PowerPoint won't be exactly as they set it up on their Windows PC.

Guest minisrule192

From my experience with laptops for projection... Acer's are the worst, Dell's aren't much good and the Toshiba was widescreen so its display went bad, also using IBM's it was incredibly difficult for showing a DVD. I have found that my HP/Compaq works good and Mac's also work good, but I prefer to use a desktop PC because of the upgradability and the cheapness even though they are heavier.

Chris.

Thanks for interesting posts guys.

Can I respectfully say that there is little value in just mentioning makes - all manufacturers have several different laptop ranges with different models in each range and specs vary hugely. For instance, with Dell, are you talking about an Inspiron or a Latitude? There are seven different current Latitude models, and for each model plenty of different choices, including in some cases important things like graphics processor.

I am well aware of the need for a good graphics processor - many laptops these days have integrated ones that should be avoided like the plague. Some separate ones share system RAM, which isn't good either (although I've never had any real problems with my Toshibas which share RAM and play DVDs nicely on the external monitor).

I had also noticed, Tim, that some no longer have locking posts on the VGA connector and would never buy one like that. I'm not a fan of side-mounted connectors either although this is what mine have.

I have no need for DVI or a Mac, and whilst desktops are obviously better, I can't carry two on the tube ;)

I'm interested in knowing what problems Chris had with an IBM (and what model IBM it was) as I have been consdering getting a Thinkpad T series. They seem to have a good reputation although are a bit heavier than some, probably because they're built stronger.

Thanks

Dave

Guest minisrule192
If you have equipment that has DVI inputs, then it might be worth considering something with a DVI output. To my knowledge the only machines that have this are the Apple Macbooks/Macbook Pro. Now being Intel chipped machines they will run Windows, so you can give clients Windows PowerPoint. The Macbook is via the Mini DVI.

Although there is a native PowerPoint for OSX, there are still a few inconsistancies with the transitions types between Windows and OSX, and the way that the Mac and PC handle images. So on occasions the PowerPoint won't be exactly as they set it up on their Windows PC.

I have used a Mac with a VGA socket... Some Dells have DVI sockets...

I can't remember the model of the IBM I used, it was quite a new one, Intel Centrino 1.xghz and 1gb of ram. It crashed for me a number of times and getting the DVD to display on the secondry monitor was just not working so had to set it as external monitor only which is ugly as your audience can see all your desktop and everything.

Chris.

I'm interested in knowing what problems Chris had with an IBM (and what model IBM it was) as I have been consdering getting a Thinkpad T series. They seem to have a good reputation although are a bit heavier than some, probably because they're built stronger.

The IBM's Issue we found was that when you 'FN+F7' -or whatever the command is, or control panel>display options ; you get a very un-usueful IBM display window pop-up and give you a list of options to use, non-were really appropriate to cause so we ended up 'winging it'... And had Issues with getting DVD's to show on output. It was also unreasonably slow, This was 2 reasons, 1. They had bought a low spec, 2. It was a work one he had said " there's a video on there Play it." and quite a few options were restricted.

However build quality is superb, and they are quite compact, the edging on the screens is very good and unlike some laptops, prevents the screen from knocking on anything in transit.

Overall; Good laptops, but maybe not the best for live performance.

Another consideration, depending on what you're doing, is the sound card. I've found the Toshiba's (all of the one's I've used) to be very noisy when plugged in.

Unless you're using an external sound card, you should try and check this out.

Whatever you go for, see this thread for info on setting up software to prevent pop-ups, background tasks etc.

As regards the hardware, all of the kit mentioned above will "do the job". You need to look at things like audio isolation (discussed at length elsewhere), graphics quality, and having a "standard generic software setup" - making sure you have the appropriate tools to display whatever bizarre format of presentation you're given.

From a hardware perspective, robustness is important. Look at the hinges on the laptop screen - they're often a good indication of the build quality of the rest of the chassis. Are they plastic or metal?

We specify thousands of laptops at work, for student use, so they've got to be robust. The last time we went through the evaluation process IBM (now Lenovo) came out on top. Having said that, personally I use a Tosh...

If you get a machine that will run VGA through the DVI port, then yes you have to have an adaptor, but you do give yourself the future proofing of the DVI, and the higher quality signal it gives. Plus using a DVI over Fibre you can do long lengths with little to no losses, and no interference.

Are you running these through scalers or straight to the projectors?

Guest minisrule192
Another consideration, depending on what you're doing, is the sound card. I've found the Toshiba's (all of the one's I've used) to be very noisy when plugged in.

Unless you're using an external sound card, you should try and check this out.

I have always used on board sound and never had a problem with the quality.

I have always used on board sound and never had a problem with the quality.
If you read a few of the threads on laptop sound, you will find that you are in the minority. Most laptops only have a headphone socket, and due to an adverse interaction between the PSU and earth, they are unusable connected to an earthed sound system.

I think your sig says quite a lot...

Archived