University of Derby

does the SLLET course have any industry accreditation and do you end up with any union membership at the end of it? - just wondering.

It is accredited as an Engineering degree by the Institute of Engineering & Technology (formed from the merger of the IEE and IIE). This provides the academic basis for professional status as an Incorporated Engineer.

As such, we haven't sought out accreditation from bodies within the entertainment industry, and there's no automatic membership. However, a number of students are members of the AES, IOA etc.

Do you have any particular industry accreditation bodies in mind?

Simon

do you end up with any union membership at the end of it?

No, but I did make students read The Guardian every day, sing the Red Flag before every rigging session and whistle along to Henry Cow's "Beautiful as the Moon, Terrible as an Army Marching with Banners" while setting DMX addresses.

KC

(Dan: let me explain. You get the First, I get the £20 - that was what I thought we agreed!)

No, but I did make students read The Guardian every day, sing the Red Flag before every rigging session and whistle along to Henry Cow's "Beautiful as the Moon, Terrible as an Army Marching with Banners" while setting DMX addresses.

Those were the days!

I'm starting to think that anybody reading these posts who is thinking of joining the course is already starting to see the "love" shared by members of the course and its lay-ed back attitude (although not academically of course...) we all have here in derby, and thats even when where not all in the bar!!!

from a 1st year

When I first posted about the course I didn't expect it to be so well known. I am quite surprised with the number of blue-room members that have actually done the course, are doing it, heard about it or even teach it.

I have been speaking with Simon Lewis and the course does seem quite attractive to me. Does anyone know of any other courses which are similar to this one?

Glamorgan is the first one that comes to my mind no idea what it is like mind as it did not exist when I was applying all I know about it is they seem to do a lot of advertising (either that or I just get all of it). I remember someone from Glamorgan on this forum once but don't know if they are still around?

If not I know a number of the Derby first and second years went to Glamorgan's open day so they may be able to give you an opinion on why they chose one over the other although I suspect they (like me) may have a bias so remember that when you speak to them.

The BSc (Hons) Live Event Technology and BSc (Hons) Lighting Technology at Glamorgan are relatively new and have been steadily developing over the past few years.

Many current Derby students who have been to previous open days have commented about lack of facilities etc.. This as ever is an issue when courses start out.

Glamorgan has invested heavily over the past 12 months with a total spend of 500k on equipment/facilities for these two courses!

Glamorgan like Derby has industry membership and relationships. A couple of exciting firsts are in the pipeline but am unable to divulge too much at this stage just to say watch this space!

As of January 2007 Glamorgan has a strategic alliance with the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama, in addition to the new 35million pound campus opening in Cardiff this September both of these will maximise opportunities available to students on these courses.

Should anyone require any further information on the courses at Glamorgan please feel free to either PM or email me at spgreen@glam.ac.uk

Stuart Green

Senior Lecturer - Lighting Technology

University of Glamorgan

If not I know a number of the Derby first and second years went to Glamorgan's open day so they may be able to give you an opinion on why they chose one over the other...

Hi,

I am one of those students. I am currently at the University of Derby in the second year of the Sound, Light and Live Event Technology programme and I visited a few places before making the decision to come to Derby. My, and others opinions of Derby and other courses are posted on other threads on this forum - they can be found by a quick search.

Feel free to PM me of you want any more info on Derby or my opinions of other courses/establishments.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Posts here on the Blue Room are opinions of individuals and should be taken as that.

I would encourage all prospective students to apply to and visit as many Universities and Colleges as possible then form their own opinions. You should not use the the thoughts of others to sway your decision. After all it is you that will be spending three years and your money studying at that institution. What might have been wrong for others may well be right for you!

The next open day at the University of Glamorgan is Saturday 3rd March where you will be able get a feel for the place, meet with staff and students currently on the courses.

I think that is what we are all trying to say.

Myself and my piers at Derby Uni visited many different courses to form our decision. I think that the opinions of others on the courses are invaluable though because you get far more about the course from students than you do at open days...I would however encourage you to find a Glamorgan student (or other courses) to talk to as well. Not sure if there are any on here though...

Good luck in your choices!

Tom

Posts here on the Blue Room are opinions of individuals and should be taken as that.

I would encourage all prospective students to apply to and visit as many Universities and Colleges as possible then form their own opinions. You should not use the the thoughts of others to sway your decision. After all it is you that will be spending three years and your money studying at that institution. What might have been wrong for others may well be right for you!

The next open day at the University of Glamorgan is Saturday 3rd March. For more information please see www.glam.ac.uk

I would second all of the above. Everyone engaged in student teaching, believe this or not, want the student to have a decent experience; I, for example - and I am sure Stuart has done the same- have often advised that the course I teach on is not suitable for a particular student. The prospective student must collect many sources of evidence: talk to tutors, students, people in industry, your school colleagues and teachers; visit the institutions, look at the labs & classrooms; look at the timetable on the notice board - do you really want to do Analogue & Digital Electronics every Monday morning at 0900 for 24 weeks?(The answer is yes! It's character building!) At Derby, and I am sure Glamorgan is the same, we take pains to try and ensure that prospective students meet current students as we feel this helps give a rounded picture.(Subjective views are important in this respect - good or bad!)

Don't be swayed by kit; when I started at Derby we had little more than some PAR64s, a few wind up stands, a MAC 250+ and an Elara....we now seem to have a lighting desk for every third year student and enough truss for me to walk on from Edale to Derby - this, however, is not the point. Even when we had very little equipment we still had students who were there because they wanted to be taught. I'm sure that Glamorgan has more or less the same kit as UOD, bought for the same reason - to educate students.(Although some of my recent students might believe that my criteria for buying kit is "will it fit in my car?") An institution might have a Pearl, or a Vista or a GrandMA - and there will always be a student who thinks that a Frog is better than all of them(!!!!) - but it is how whatever desk is used in the education process that is important.

As a student, what you bring to a university is as important as what exists in the establishment already. Talk and ask so that you can be sure that the attributes/interests you have wll be catered for and developed in the institution you choose.

Visit, talk, ask questions

KC

Archived