fibre optic cloth plastic collars

ianl

I'm repairing a fibre optic starcloth and need some of the plastic collars that hold the end of the fibre to the cloth, could someone suggest a company who sell them (ideally online catalogue) as my google skills seem to be lacking today

Ianl,

I am about to make a fibre optic starcloth in work this week!! Don't have any specifics as my boss has ordered what he wants but is there anything that would help me? I.e awkward bits or things you learned in hindsight after making yours?

Can't wait to embark on my fibre optic adventure :** laughs out loud **:

Genuinely excited, Em

What sort of fibre are you using? Is it a made up loom of sheathed glass fibres with a crimped ferrule at the end or polymer fibre on a drum which you will be terminating into a boss yourself?

Draw a grid of 1m squares on the back of your cloth and a series of concentric arcs from the top centre of the cloth using chalk. This will allow you to get a fairly even spread of fibres (3 - 4 points per square metre for a starcloth, 7 - 8 points for something with a bit more pizzazz).

The arcs allow you to work out positions if you have a made up loom with differing lengths of fibres.

Makes holes through the cloth with a soldering iron (lift the cloth to avoid burning the floor). If you have the plastic collars throw away the rings which are meant to go on the front and push the collar onto the ferrule at the end of the fibre. Polymer fibre will just push through without making a hole especially if you cut the fibre at an angle. Use low-melt hot glue to fix the collar / polymer to the back of the cloth.

Leave enough slack on the fibres so that the curtain is not pulled inwards anywhere. Wherever possible cable tie bundles of fibre together through a seam to help take the weight.

Always leave at least 500mm spare at the top so that the boss can be fitted into the light source.

Let me know if you need anything more specific

Tony

Thanks for the advice Tony. We are using a loom and had already drawn out our sections but the soldering iron idea is a great one and I will be trying it!!

We are also using a range of sticking products as we have not got the collars so I will report back for anyone's future reference how it all goes :stagecrew:

Cheers again

Em

I'm repairing a fibre optic starcloth and need some of the plastic collars that hold the end of the fibre to the cloth, could someone suggest a company who sell them (ideally online catalogue) as my google skills seem to be lacking today

If you are still looking you could try Starscape

Regards,

Paul

Archived