_10V to +10v

Gerry

Did a search and looked at the FAQs but couldn`t find anything on this subject.

I have a Strand manual 24 way LX desk that outputs -10v. Is it easy to convert it to +10v output?

Cheers

Gerry

I have a Strand manual 24 way LX desk that outputs -10v. Is it easy to convert it to +10v output?

Cheers

Gerry

Have a look at this web link Voltage Inverter

Search the blue room with "voltage inverter" for more info.

Cheers

Gerry

Yes its easy to do if you have the right things. Otherwise its not possible.

I believe you'll need some voltage convertors, such as the ones Usedlighting sell. Apart from their I know of no other place that sells them, others on here might.

If you've got a 24way desk, you'll need 4 (each one does 6 channels). Failing that, you'll need racks that accept -10v. Such as strand ACT dimmers or tempus ones (thought I think they run on a different voltage, 15v..) or some Zero88 betapacks, that accept either + or -.

HTH

Tom

Dam, beaten to it.. well some of it.

I may stand corrected here but IIRC, the LX18 was supplied as a negative output desk (0/-10V), the LX12 and LX24 were standard as a 0/+10V In this case if you have an LX24 that is outputing 0/-10 you may find that there is already a voltage invertor fitted inside the desk, which just needs to be removed...

have a lok here for a datasheet

The LX desk was introduced in 1988, which is about when Tempus -10V style of control went out of style. however the LX 18 seems to be direct replacement to Tempus18. (for some reason, nearly all Tempus installs I have ever seen are in multiples of 18 channels)

On another note, some dimmers will accept both positive or negative voltage control. Specifically the Zero88 Betapacks. or Strand Act6+

I may stand corrected here but IIRC, the LX18 was supplied as a negative output desk (0/-10V), the LX12 and LX24 were standard as a 0/+10V In this case if you have an LX24 that is outputing 0/-10 you may find that there is already a voltage invertor fitted inside the desk, which just needs to be removed...

Yes you are correct but this desk came from the R&D labs at Strand. It is marked as a prototype.

It has the 8 pin DIN type sockets on the back, usually for -10V and also the 15 pin D type sockets, usually for +10V

There is a sticker on the bottom which says -10V.

There is only output from the -10V sockets.

Cheers

Gerry

Moderation: Fixed Quote Tags

That web link given above by PaulTC is for a simple circuit that does the job. I built an 18-channel (well, actually 20 channel) one using 5x quad op-amps, a handful of resistors and some veroboard. The most expensive component was the box to put it all in and the plugs - the active bits cost less than a fiver.

Archived