Cable tester

london sound

Hi

I have googled my fingers off so does any one know of a reasonably priced cable tester that will test NL8 cables. I know there is an EMO tester at a stupid high price, also that Whirlwind do one but cannot find UK supplier, also Rat Sound do one in the US.

So does anyone know any other options in the UK.

Thanks in advance

Ian

Why not use a RJ45 cable tester with a couple of adaptor cables ?

Example Maplin Tester

Hi

When testing 30 odd cables and connectors a bodge is not the best way especially when being done every week!!!

I have found a suitable tester from Rat Sound, however the shipping is a bit steep.

Looks like I might have to design my own.

Ian

I've not used the Rat Sound NL8 tester but other stuff of theirs tends to be well made and useful since it's designed by people who still do gigging.

The other thing about Rat Sound is that they tend to be pretty helpful people. It might be worth either calling Daniella or dropping her an e-mail to see if they can do anything about the shipping costs. I believe they normally use UPS (which tends to be very costly) but maybe if you're not desperate time-wise she'd be willing to just pop it in the post or something. You never know 'til you ask!

Edit to add: if you do decide to go with this one and pay for the expensive shipping, have a look at their swag department. I really want a pair of their Rat Sound Converse-style trainers, but can't just can't justify the cost to myself!

Bob

Isn't the Rat Popper designed more for testing cabs? It outputs a DC signal to make each 'Way' of the cabinet 'Pop'. SSE used to use something similar to verify each cabinet was loaded and working before it went in the truck. Not too sure if they still do.

As someone above said, it might be easier to get a CAT5 tester that cycles through each of the 8 lines, and fabricate a panel with a pair of NL4s and NL8s. Something very functional and pretty robust could be made for probably not much more than £40 and and hours work with the bits and a project/ABS box.

Would it be possible to wire a couple of NL8 sockets with 2 4 pins, one to the 1+, 1-, 2+, 2- and then one to 3+, 3-, 4+, 4-? Couple that with the cheap behringer cable tester, and you can test your 8 pin speakons to your hearts delight.

Would it be possible to wire a couple of NL8 sockets with 2 4 pins, one to the 1+, 1-, 2+, 2- and then one to 3+, 3-, 4+, 4-? Couple that with the cheap behringer cable tester, and you can test your 8 pin speakons to your hearts delight.

Er, no, as the Behringer cable tester doesn't do Speakons - its only drawback as far as I was concerned, though not enough to put me off!

For occaisional use, I'd go for a RJ45 cable tester (and you can pick them up for well under a tenner plus a couple of RJ45 to NL8 adapters might be the only comprehensive method. Fairly cheap, but not super robust.

For frequent use, I'd build my own using 2 NL6 sockets, a small Maplin box, a rotary switch, and a handful of LEDs.

But if it was my business, I'd probably just pay the silly money for the commercial tester, as it'd be cheaper in my time than any of the above.

Archived