Soundcard to use Traktor with my Gemini Mixer

Adam Brinkworth

Hi, I hope this is posted in the correct place...

Im looking for a soundcard to use with NI Traktor 3.

I want to be able to asign decks A and B on Traktor to seperate 'channels' on the soundcard, to output to an external mixer (Gemini PDM-02), as well as have a spare channel for a set of headphones.

Any ideas of what I need to get started? I know how to assign the channels in Traktor etc, but need a recomendation on the card, as I dont want to spend money on something that does not work.

I have been looking at the M-Audio Delta 44 on ebay. It has 4 outputs, im guessing channels 1+2 for Deck A L+R, and channels 3+4 as L+R for Deck B.

Will this work?

Thanks in Advance

Adam

Not had any experience of Traktor but have of other similar PC based DJ software and in my experience they're pretty good at recognising multi-channel cards particularly if they are uPNP. M-Audio kit is generally pretty system friendly stuff so can't see you having many insurmountable problems.

I can't give you a definitive answer, however I would suggest contacting NI and asking them as it's a pretty good chance they will have tried the software with many common interfaces.

Pretty much any entry level soundcard for audio (NOT CREATIVE!) will be fine. For the price and features, I would recommend the Presonus Firebox - probably the cheapest firewire card around and very stable. It also gives you 24-bit/96kHz and 6 ins (2 of which are preamps) & 10 outs. Not sure exactly how much they're going for these days but a friend of mine just bought one here in Australia for around $400 Australian (roughly $300 US or 150 pounds). I use a MOTU 828MKII with Traktor and have no problems but that unit is probably a bit of overkill when it comes to your particular needs.

Regards

James

Couple of things,

Adam, a valid point. :) - I take it you changed your mind.

Atardecer, you've ruled Creative out, in capitals, with a !. At this point it would be nice if you could expand whilst staying on topic your reasons for doing this.

Couple of things,

Adam, a valid point. :) - I take it you changed your mind.

Atardecer, you've ruled Creative out, in capitals, with a !. At this point it would be nice if you could expand whilst staying on topic your reasons for doing this.

Certainly. I wouldnt classify Creative cards as dedicated professional audio cards, but those oriented for home multimedia (ie. games, listening to music etc.). Most do not have ASIO support which will significantly improve performance and their drivers are sketchy at best for music. I believe brinky2006 would be better off spending his/her money elsewhere. I should point out that when I say Creative I'm not talking about E-mu soundcards (Creative bought out E-mu recently). By all means I would recommend the E-mu line, especially something like the 0404 or 1212m. HTH.

regards

James

Archived