dmx addressing query

Sam_Lowers

Hi All,

Just a quick enquiry about addressing my DMX lines.

I can understand that when you are using a DMX buffer that the lines can all have different addresses but what I am wondering is:

- if I were to come striate out of the desk and into my mover (addressed at 60) and from there into my second and third (120,150) and then to my fourth in the chain (90) would this work or do all the addressed need to be in numeric order in my chains?

- also I am using six movers in my show which will be terminated but what is the number of movers, roughly, that can be put in a chain without a terminator - I was thinking about 8??

any replies will be great

cheers

sam

- if I were to come striate out of the desk and into my mover (addressed at 60) and from there into my second and third (120,150) and then to my fourth in the chain (90) would this work...

Yes

... what is the number of movers, roughly, that can be put in a chain without a terminator - I was thinking about 8??

It could be argued that all DMX lines should be properly terminated irrespective of the number of devices on them.

Thirty two is the maximum number of devices that can be placed on any one line according to the standard EIA 485, which is the underlying technology of DMX512 .

More details in:

Lighting Control - Technology and Applications

Robert S Simpson, Focal Press, 2003

ISBN 0 240 51566 8

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/0240515668.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

KC

Mods Edit: Added Amazon link and image.

It could be argued that all DMX lines should be properly terminated irrespective of the number of devices on them.

Whoops, I missed the 'without termination bit' so I amend my answer to...

'It depends'

...or...

'None'

- if I were to come striate out of the desk and into my mover (addressed at 60) and from there into my second and third (120,150) and then to my fourth in the chain (90) would this work...

Yes

Just by way of explanation: all DMX devices get information on all 512 DMX channels but are addressed so they only take any notice of one set of channels. Thus you can have them in any order you like.

As Ken says, it's best practice to terminate every DMX line, just to be sure (it can't do any harm and for the cost of a fiver a time to buy, it's worth it).

I can understand that when you are using a DMX buffer that the lines can all have different addresses but what I am wondering is
Sorry if I'm misinterpreting what you've said here, but it sounds like you think you have to give DMX line's/universe's, perhaps even the DMX splitter/buffer, a DMX address.. As if they were a device.

In simplest terms, all a buffer does is allow you to send one DMX signal/universe to multiple places (usually LX bars/locations where DMX is needed. Nothing to do with addressing really. Means you don't have to join everything together in a big loop, which could be a pain in the ..., if you have fixtures all over the place.

DMX cable out of desk >

Into buffer/splitter >

cable out of the splitter to LX 1 >

cable out of the splitter to LX 2.. etc

Its like you were making a Y split adaptor, except a buffer projects each line from interference and prevents signal degradation. It's called opto-isolated/isolating (might just be to do with the interference bit). Other members will be able to go into what that is in detail, if need be.

Just from your O/P, it sounds like your getting a little confused as to what a buffer does, when its actually a really simple (and very useful!) bit of kit.

HTH & apologies if what I've just explained is what your trying to make out, I just didn't read it like that..

Tom

...a buffer projects each line from interference and prevents signal degradation. It's called opto-isolated/isolating (might just be to do with the interference bit). Other members will be able to go into what that is in detail, if need be.

Probably no need, but I've typed this already... :P

An opto-isolator literally is an optical isolator - a component containing an LED and a light sensor in a moulded plastic "chip". This means you can have one circuit signal another without having an electrical connection between them.

The buffer (in this context) is an amplifier with a gain of 1, which protects (buffers) an output from the effects of loading imposed by the connected circuit.

A buffered opto-isolated DMX splitter is therefore desirable because a fault (short circuit, over voltage, etc) on one output won't affect the other outputs.

/anorak off. :)

Marc

Archived