Pa system

bobalobus

powered speakers (notice the adj) are an option in this case, however as this is on a budget you often find the cheaper powered systems to be a little underpowered and not up to the job, particularly as this systems maybe pushed at times in the larger venues, a little extra amplifier headroom is not normally possible with a powered system.

Agreed 110% with Bobbsy (seem to do that alot). the DCX2496 is a great unit. I have had experience of the fault that Bobbsy mentions with the DBX Drive Rack PA, this unit costs nearly twice what the Behringer does and ended up costing a further £500+ in replacement compression drivers...well diaphrams, and a further £200 to replace the unit with a DCX2496.

I have also had no problems with noise on the CX2310 or CX3400 units, I have not used the crossovers built in with the graphic eq's. I have always thought of things like this as an extra toy that might be useful for something or in an emergency to get you out of a jam, but if you want a crossover buy a crossover. Everyones opinion varies of course.

Chris, you sneak the word amp in aswell in you "I wouldn't buy" statement. Whilst not an issue for yourself, the EP2500 offers unbeatable value for money and is a fantastic amp. As with alot of Behringer products they offer an effective device that you have to spend alot more money on before you see noticeable improvements. there are so many cheap amplifiers on the market nowadays from the usual manufacturers which weigh in at nearly twice as much as the behringer to buy, and do not come close on performance or reliability. I have a number of these amps that sometimes go out on dry hire to power alsorts of systems (sometimes mine), they are often driven hard (too hard) at 4 and even 2ohms. I have never had a single problem with one of them.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Loudest multicore on a drum (8 x 4 x 30m) I agree that it seems fantastic value, BUT, I have only used mine a few times and already it is starting to kink badly at the tails end, where is can't handle being (carefully) spooled on and off the drum. On the other hand I have a Horizon 16 x 4 x 30m which I have had for 9 years, used regularly and do not have this problem with it.

The best bit about the Loudest multicore is the drum, it's large, could handle much higher capacity cable, and seems pretty well made. I would suggest that if you are gigging regularly, then you may find it worth your while to spend a little more on a better quality multicore, of all your gear it's probably the bit that gets the most physical abuse.

My 2p worth :angry:

Joe

Just a thought but have you considered hiring as an option? Chances are you'll get much better quality kit and you won't have to worry about maintenance. It also means you can get the right size of system for each venue - buying your own rig usually means you end up having to compromise.

You'll get a 2.5K rig with 4 wedges, a 16 channel desk and all the mics and DIs you need for about £150 from us for example and if you hire regularly most places will be willing to give you a decent discount.

If you really want to buy, in your shoes with a small budget I'd be looking at the second hand market for most of the kit. There are always huge savings to be made if you shop around. Just make sure you check everything very carefully before parting with your money!

• 3 weeks later...

To follow on from the Class D recommendations, I've used some Class D stuff recently and whilst it sounds ok for the budget, it is not known for its efficiency. With some boxes quoting a rather low 92db 1w/m. In a situation where SPL is important (maybe rooms bigger than you would like to use a particular system in) a cab with low efficiency isn't really going to cut it.

I suppose if someone made a cabinet that sounded great, was very efficient and was cheap as chips, then we'd all be using them, so you can't grumble at the manufacturers.

I have to agree with Rob with the Class D kit, another brand of speakers well worth looking at is Proel, their Smart Series are spot on for what your wanting to do with them as there SPL's are reasonable and there a very good price for what you get and to boot there sound is lovely especially for live rock music and on top of all that in my experience there bullet proof!

And stick with the Sure mic's when looked after (and in some cases not!!!) they'll last you forever! and defiantly get a mixer with a few spare channels you can guarantee that at some point they will prove invaluable!

And as has already been said cables and "boxes" or racks are considerably more expensive than you might expect and you need good racks and flightcases if your going to be on the road a lot! ( I had a brand new crossover unit and had it in a rack but space meant that I had to leave the front cover off of the rack as a result the first time I loaded the control rack into the van I smashed some of the knobs off of the front of the unit :stagecrew: )

HTH :stagecrew:

Archived