UV dye

chris512

Afternoon all, I was hoping that someone might be able to come up to a solution to a small design question. we've just started work on "Peter Pan" for the which the director has chosen to use 28 (possibly 40 odd) pillows for our set :rolleyes: the idea is that the cast make their "shapes" out of these for each scene. my question however is does anyone know where I can possibly get some UV dye for the pillow cases? I've already used UV paint from stage electrics but can't seem to find any dye on their site....anyone got any other ideas or possible sources? cheers!

Guest lightnix

I'm not sure if it's what you're after, but Flints might have something. Click here for their online catalogue home page, click "Enter Shop" and do a quick search for "fluorescent dye". It comes up with a range of powders, but I'm not sure if they are water soluble or not.

There are also a few companies around, such as Visual Bliss in Devon or UVFX of Los Angeles, who might be able to help you with sources.

Other than that, you could just try washing them in twice the normal amount of powder and skipping the rinse cycle. All washing powders / liquids contain "optical brighteners" (i.e. fluorescent dye), to give your sheets that classic "blue-whiteness" on the washing line.

Hi Chris,

UVFX are distributed in the UK by TMB (TMB London 0208 5609652 - V. helpful) - not sure if they do dye.

However, a company called Glowshop were at PLASA and seem to do dye : Glow Shop

Obviously, as Brian notes this would be the safest way to ensure allergies don't become an issue (one hopes).

Good Luck

Matt

Guest lightnix
just try washing them in twice the normal amount of powder and skipping the rinse cycle

just watch out for anyone with sensitive skin handling them.

Good point there, Mr. Fairchild. In truth, a normal dose will probably do, but they will need frequent washing.

Archived