How well do you know your motors

motorcrazy

Just picking some of your brains, I am a certificate CM motor tech. (I know doesn't mean much), Been doing ground rigging for a while and some high steel.

What is the gap for the loadstar brake assembly?

What colour is the up wire going to the the limit switch?

Same for the down wire?

What is a easy way to check if you have broke the up limit in a really noisy arena/theatre?

What is the control voltage?

Name 2 bad things about motor bridles?

how many companies have moved to the 7 pin soca for power and control?

What is meant by "balanced power" when it comes to motors?

What are the torque settings for the suspenion hook bolt assembly?

And last one what is the torqe setting's for the lift wheel gear inside a 1 ton?

Later

Motorcrazy

Not quite sure where this topic is heading ...

You say you're a certified CM motor technician - but some of the questions you ask strike me as being things that a certified Lodestar tech should know.

Are you asking these things because you don't know the anwers? In which case, I'd have thought a call to the manufacturers would be by far the most reliable way to get answers to your questions?

On the other hand, are you asking as some sort of "test" to prove to us how clever you are? In which case, why?!

This thread makes no sense. It looks remarkably like a test paper that you want to know the answers to. No-one comes on a discussion forum asking:

Name 2 bad things about motor bridles?

That is straight from a test paper.

The Blue Room is not here so people can cheat in their exams.

Can I recommend that no-one replies to the OP until we have some further explanation.

If it's all above board let us know and we'll be happy to help.

Detective Rodders on the job, sir.

Had a look at his website (which gave me flashbacks to Chris' Sound and Light ltd) and found the certificate that states he completed a CM course in 'application and maintenance'.

Over to the CM website but couldn't find any information about these courses there..... But it does have this CM Lodestar wiring with all the information you may want on this topic, surely they would have pointed that out during the course?

Methinks this is a 'look how good I am' post more than anything else.

Question I would like to ask, why would you want to know the colour of a limit wire if you are not a trained technician? I would be very nervous if I knew that people without appropriate training were poking around the inerts of motors that suspend stuff above my head.

The guy's been back onto the BR since JSB and I wrote our posts in this thread, both asking him to clarify what he's asking, and he's chosen not to respond. To me, that says "TROLL". Closely followed by "delete the thread!". :(

O.k Guy's, it was just to have some fun. I had way too many coffee's before coming home and writing that ad. I know from past experience that the wiring from the factory can be wrong. I am a certified motor tech, and now alot about rigging. Sounds like you guy's just need to complain about something. I am not trying to get the answer's for the test or trying to show off my skills; I did come back to check what was said, and I just wanted to talk alittle shop with some other motor tech's.

Later

Mods,

I think a bit of "delete post" may be needed here - especially as the OP signs off with "later". I'm surprised the 't' is actually typed - I can't imagine it being enunciated.... or maybe that's just me being boring and preferring proper English in posts.

O.k Guy's, it was just to have some fun. I had way too many coffee's before coming home and writing that ad. I know from past experience that the wiring from the factory can be wrong. I am a certified motor tech, and now alot about rigging. Sounds like you guy's just need to complain about something. I am not trying to get the answer's for the test or trying to show off my skills; I did come back to check what was said, and I just wanted to talk alittle shop with some other motor tech's.

Later

Thanks for explaining that. I can assure you we don't just like to complain for complaints sake, it's just that we do sometimes get students coming on asking us to do their homework and that would, obviously, be wrong. Would you want to be sitting under a Lodestar which had been serviced by someone who only passed his exams by getting other people to give him the answers? :(

I notice also that you call your post an "ad". I must point out that Blue Room members may not advertise on the Blue Room, other than in the Commercial section.

From the Terms and Conditions:

Advertising is not allowed on The Blue Room forums except for some limited

advertising in the 'Commercial' section, which consists of the 'Classified'

and 'Commercial Announcements' forums.

'Classifieds' is a service to allow Blue Room Members to advertise kit for

sale, equipment wanted to buy, situations vacant and special offers for BR members.

Please refer to the pinned topic "Terms and Conditions for the use of these

forums" in the Classifieds forum for more information.

'Commercial Announcements' is a forum where commercial members whose main

business is the sale or hire of entertainments industry related goods or services

may advertise, subject to a prior donation being made to Combined Theatrical

Charities.

Both Commercial forums are pre-moderated. Further information on how to use

them is detailed at the top of each one, please read it before posting.

Replies from members with commercial interests, which offer technical support

only, are allowable. Any offers of assistance which involve the promotion of

commercial products or services should take place off-forum, either via Private

Message, e-mail, or by inviting the Blue Room member who is seeking advice to

make direct contact. Otherwise please do not use The Blue Room for any commercial

or advertising purpose without the express consent of The Blue Room admin team.

You may only create a membership for yourself as an individual. You may not

create a membership for your company or any other business entity.

Feel free to chat to other riggers here about anything to do with your work and I hope you enjoy the Blue Room.

You may like to start by sharing your experiences of incorrect wiring. As PhilT says, that sounds worrying.

See you around.

Archived