VGA to Cat5 problem

stevieboi

Hi all

I have a problem where I cannot get a signal from a laptop to a projector using vga to cat5 convertors

the converters are: http://www.muxlab.com/products/ve_vga_balun.html

these have been successfully working with our projector which has recently gone to be repaired - whilst waiting for this to return I have borrowed a projector - an NEC VT540K. I've tried using different lengths of cat5 cable, (all the cables, converters etc work) but I cant get any signal to the projector. the laptop im using is an Acer TravelMate 290LCi. however it is possible to get a signal using just a standard vga cable between the laptop and the projector.

any help appreciated.

thanks

Are you using Cat5E cable? The twists in Cat5E are different for each pair, which helps reject interference between the pairs, but means that some signals have to travel further than others, causing timing and other issues when used to send VGA. I also think some projectors are more sensitive than others, which would explain why you weren't having a problem before.

Sorry, forgot to mention in my original post, try and find some Cat5 cable (not E), as this has twists which are all the same.

Before trying that, try a very short CAT5/CAT5e - say a metre - if that doesn't work, there's no point in faffing around with different types of long cable...

Take it one step at a time....

The only thing you have changed is the projector.

If I were you, my next test would be changing the projector (again). Now, I realise that most people don't have piles of spare projectors lying around, but try using the setup between your PC and a standard monitor.

I've just had a thought - you say your projector has gone away to get repaired - what was wrong with it? Did it "fail" at the end of this link? Did you test it directly connected to a source? Could it be that it is the cat5 extender that was broken, not the projector?

Just a thought :angry:

Bruce.

the converters, and cable definately work - ive tried them going from the laptop to a standard monitor with no problem.

the projector is being repaired on a totally different matter, the power suply to it was at fault, so it wouldnt even turn on!

I have a problem where I cannot get a signal from a laptop to a projector using vga to cat5 convertors

I sell VGA-CAT5 converters and can tell you that not all projectors like the passive units. If you use an active (powered) set you should have no problems.

Archived