Steaming "Poison" goblet

james3mc

To be fair hydrogen peroxide is still very dangerous at 30%

I find the suggestion of using it in a goblet onstage without adding warnings and suggesting control measures very irresponsible. Sorry to be blunt but I would suggest gloves and goggles would be an absolute minimum. Your comment that skin contact would "just make your skin itch" is downright dangerous in a public forum, yes it may well do however contact with sensitive areas can cause ulceration, prolonged contact will cause dermatitis and contact with eyes can cause corneal injury.

I would have few qualms about its use in a lab demonstration by knowledgeable teachers however its use onstage in this manner is simply not appropriate, especially as it has been mentioned that the effect must be suitable for use near children.

Anyway how he did it was get an old but still working carbon dioxide fire extinguisher (I'll stress not using a current one for very obvious reasons, it could lead to a nasty surprise if the worst case scenario happened - this teacher had a few locked away for this use only) and wrap the arm of a labcoat around the end nozzle. Then if you pull the trigger for a couple of seconds some gas escapes through the fabric but it forms small (10mm2 probably at the most) pellets of dry ice in the fabric which can be shaken out/pickd up wth gloves and placed in said goblet/beaker for ideal effect.

and a similar thing happens at my school's physics department. The physics teacher makes his own dry ice for use in a cloud chamber. they have a cylinder of CO2 and hen make it to order, you don't get much out of it, but its enough to smoke for quite a while

if you have any co2 fire extingusers spare... or just get a bottle from someone like BOC, where it isn't too expensive and too too bad to store!

puff

Where did you paste from? You've made my post sound like a an invitation to hold a three-phase cable in your mouth while climbing a ladder whose steps have been greased! Our school (like most) uses CLEAPSS for hazard information and if I were at school I'd quote you the relevant Hazcard.

I simply did a google for the substance and added hazard. The results as you say, are for undiluted - however, as the reaction required seems to dictate full strength - as in your comments about what the teachers did, then the hazard exists. The bits I copied were the first of many warnings - most from either chenical companies, government agencies and other responsible bodies. I'm no chemical expert, but I would think that ignoring these indications of doom and gloom could be kind of irresponsible?

Have you an authoritative site that says they are NOT hazardous?

I simply did a google for the substance and added hazard. The results as you say, are for undiluted - however, as the reaction required seems to dictate full strength - as in your comments about what the teachers did, then the hazard exists. The bits I copied were the first of many warnings - most from either chenical companies, government agencies and other responsible bodies. I'm no chemical expert, but I would think that ignoring these indications of doom and gloom could be kind of irresponsible?

Have you an authoritative site that says they are NOT hazardous?

Here is an MSDS for Wella hair colour developer based on 20vol H2O2.

Note especially the warnings regarding eye contact.

Even at this concentration it is clearly not safe to be splashed around - particularly by a child performer.

David

100vol Peroxide is a strong bleach but splashes are not fatal and just make your skin itch until rinsed off.

It is more than skin irritation. Lived on a farm, we used H2O2 to kill some of the bugs in our stocks water. It was straight H202. Contact with skin caused the skin to bleach, and if in contact with any sensitive skin, burn. The "contact" I am talking about, is the residue left on a pair of gloves after handling a syringe that had been partially submerged in the H202. Hydrogen Peroxide decays quickly when in the presence of sunlight, so one would expect the concentration of peroxide to be well below 100%.

Piezzo electric foggers would be my suggestion. They cost about a tenner from novelty stores and don't need too much power.

Archived