First problem with the mixer in the new year

Dj Dunc

Yaaay first problem in the new year :)

Ok the problem is this : Samson mpl2242 mixer, stereo in from computer into a mono channel seems easy enough, but then as soon as I patch it in and oik up a fader, hey presto, a fantastic bathroom echo comes in, and I cant remove it no matter what I do. it is fine when I use a stereo channel, but as it is a stereo feed on a single jack, then im kinda bummed as it outputs it as only right or left to the speakers :)

ideas people :** laughs out loud **:

dunc

Gaahh. it does the same thing with my mp3 player. and when I try panning either item, I lose most of the sound if I pan it to left on all mono channels.

why does this sound so much like, my mixer is nackered???

The mixer is expecting a balanced signal using the cables you mention. It's trying to sum together the left and right signals to make one rather than the positive and negative. Why it doesn't do that on a stereo channel as well I don't know.

Your computer is sending unbalanced left channel on tip and sleeve, unbalanced right channel on ring and sleeve. The mono input is expecting tip and ring to have the same signal, but opposite polarity. When you plug your stereo signal into the mono input the parts of the signal that are the same, but not opposite polarity, get cancelled out, which is most of the signal. What is left are the signals that are greatly different in left and right, mostly reverb. Buy the correct adaptor at your local electronics store and you'll be fine.

Mac

The correct adaptor is a Y-cable - one output for Left, another for Right.

I can't remember the pinout for unbalanced into balanced without a DI, but I think it's Common on Pin 2, signal on Pin 3, Pin 1 Not Connected - someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

Your computer is sending unbalanced left channel on tip and sleeve, unbalanced right channel on ring and sleeve. The mono input is expecting tip and ring to have the same signal, but opposite polarity. When you plug your stereo signal into the mono input the parts of the signal that are the same, but not opposite polarity, get cancelled out, which is most of the signal. What is left are the signals that are greatly different in left and right, mostly reverb. Buy the correct adaptor at your local electronics store and you'll be fine.

That's what I was trying to say with my comments about a phase issue in the summing to mono...but last night my brain was taking exception to my experiment with using my body as a human cocktail shaker.

Bob

the answers so far are correct, to my knowledge,

but to why it doesn't do it with the stereo channels, on this desk (just checked) only the mono channels are balanced, the stereo channels are all unbalanced, so its not getting the phased effect, just one side of the stereo.

the pin out for this desk is tip +, ring -, sleeve shield,

for the unbalanced, obviously, tip + sleeve -

hope it helps, PS if you need a manual, let me know I have the manual for my desk here, I can scan it for you.

the pin out for this desk is tip +, ring -, sleeve shield,

for the unbalanced, obviously, tip + sleeve -

That is incredibly un obvious.

I've never seen a desk connected like that before.

In my experience desks tend to be...

BALANCED

Tip +

Ring -

Sleve (Shield)

UNBALANCED

Tip (Signal)

Sleve (Shield)

balanced jacks are wired as tomo has said.

a balanced XLR is wired as the name (an acronym) implies: 1:screen, 2:line, 3:return. IE 1:gnd, 2:+, 3-

sending an unbalanced source into a balanced input should be done by wiring singal to + (tip or pin 2) and connecting screen to screen AND - (pin 1 and 3 or sleeve and ring). this ensures any induced signal on the balancing line is discharged to ground and doesnt inadvertantly removed from your signal.

The correct adaptor is a Y-cable - one output for Left, another for Right.

Not being pedantic but this isn't a Y-Cable. A Y cable defines a cable that literally is a Y and splits the signal to two outputs/inputs. As this cable outputs a different signal on each output surely this cable is a X-Y cable!

Poppadom

Archived