Hiring a PAT tester

Ben...

Wondering if anyone can recommend a good place to hire a PAT tester from, either based in or very near Bristol, or who do delivery + collection. Ideally Seaward machines, as that's what I'm most familiar with, but I'm adaptable :) (And I really do just want the machine, not a person with it.)

I have googled, but I was wandering if anyone has any recommendations?

• 3 weeks later...

Still on the same topic. Do you need to undertake any formal training to be able to use a PAT Testing machine and then slap a PASS/FAIL sticker on the side of the kit?

My hunch is that you do - if that is the case what is the best course to sign up for?

Still on the same topic. Do you need to undertake any formal training to be able to use a PAT Testing machine and then slap a PASS/FAIL sticker on the side of the kit?

No, you just need to be "competent". What the that actaully means is currently being discussed in the elec. and power forum right now. Certianly there are courses you can take out there but so long as your prepared to stand up in court and say "I was sure it was safe at the time I tested it, the problem in this case wasn't me" then you can get on with testing it. PAT testing doesn't in it's own right have any legal status, thus there are no "rules" that apply to it.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

I have a Seaward Europa Plus , I could hire you this if the price is right?

How long do you need it For?

Cheers?

Hi

I`m based at a school in Rutland. I am trying to get a case together to buy a PAT Tester. at my previous job we did all our Testing in house with a Seaward supernova, What is the difference between this and the europa Plus ?

I don`t think we could afford one but I have been using the supernova for years and I kinda like it so you never know.

Cheers for any feed back you`ve got.

David

• 5 months later...
Wondering if anyone can recommend a good place to hire a PAT tester from, either based in or very near Bristol, or who do delivery + collection. Ideally Seaward machines, as that's what I'm most familiar with, but I'm adaptable (And I really do just want the machine, not a person with it.)

We buy all our machines outright but I've seen pat-training.co.uk advertising a PAT tester hire service. You might want to check them out. Seaward machines are definitely the best around - the Europa Plus is very durable and smaller than the Supernova.

In terms of formal training, Modge is right, the regs stipulate that the person doing the testing is competent. It is best to go on the City & Guilds 2377 course - it's not a very long course and is very well worth doing. We require all our engineers to have this certificate of competency.

I'd suggest that in order to be competent you also need practical experience and a broader knowledge than can be gained in a single course or assessed by a written assessment.

Archived