Camco Tecton vs. QSC PLX2

Matt Riley

15 members have voted

1. 1. PLX2 or Camco? Which would you buy for this application?

• QSC PLX2 3602
    • Camco Tecton 32.4

Hi guys, we're going shopping at work! Following a not very fruitful discussion over these two on PSW I thought that I'd ask your opinions here.

The two amps in question are the QSC PLX2 3602 (1250 WPC @4ohms) and the camco tecton 32.4 (1500 WPC at 4 ohms) and will be used for powering our new mons rig, which will consist of biamped martin LE1200s.

At the moment it looks like the Camco is winning, but if anyone has got any horror stories or good reports then throw them forth. I've used the Camco Vortex 6 lots, and we've got some of the old plxs in stock, and both are great amps for their respective wattages and applications. My worries are:

The Tecton puts out enough watts, but won't go down to 2 ohms (not that its going to be asked to, its just the principle!) Also, its the 'economy' model from Camco.

The QSC is a less powerful amp, but the range has a proven track record, even if it is from a less high class manufacturer.

So have you had any problems with either amp? Which distributor gives better after sales support? Which would visiting engineers prefer to see in the racks?

Cheers,

Matt

We've used the PLX range as our 'budget' hire stock amps for years now with no problems - even when running down to 2 ohms or in bridge mode. They don't have the sonic clarity of other higher priced amps but have been reliable which is what is important in the roles they fulfill.

I haven't used the Camco amps but they are certainly a well respected brand for high-end systems - although their new range is unlikely to achieve the performance of the Vortex units.

In terms of 'rider acceptance', amplifiers are not really that important to a touring engineer. Reliability is the paramount factor along with choosing a model to run the monitors/speakers at optimum levels.

Personally, I would go with Lab Gruppen FP/FP+ series as we use these for all our demanding applications. The sound reproduction is incredible and totally reliable. However, they may be out of your budget.

Steve

Whilst I have used neither, I do have some of the original plx's and I am very happy with those, I've been told that the new ones are an improvement.

Slightly OT, do let me know how you find the new wedges. Will you be using smaller amps for the HF or just running an amp per channel and letting the Active X do the limiting? Either way it'll be interesting to know what you think. I've had a hold of some LE2100's and have yet to find a venue/program material to warrant testing them properly.

Rob

I have always been impressed with the QSC PLX series and wouldn't in any way say QSC are a less top flight manufacturer than Camco. Given the choice I'd probably go with the Camco because they are able to be set for fixed gain of 26 or 32dB, whereas the QSC is a fixed 36dB, which may be more than you'd want. I like to have all my amps wide open and push a fairly hot signal in for good SNR. Having said that if all the amps (LF and HF) are to be the same amp then going with the QSC would not be any problem, you'd just have to back off the gain in the DSP somewhat.

I have not heard of any problems with either range as yet, but the PLX2 it's a little early to say. The Tectons have votes of confidence as Adlib have them out on Tour with the Nexo Alpha system.

Regards

Chris

slightly OT, do let me know how you find the new wedges. Will you be using smaller amps for the HF or just running an amp per channel and letting the Active X do the limiting? Either way it'll be interesting to know what you think. I've had a hold of some LE2100's and have yet to find a venue/program material to warrant testing them properly.

We debated the amp situation, and thought that we'd run them with the bigger amps all round, letting the active Xover do the limiting, so that we have the option of active/passive flexibility, and also we have a better backup solution in the event of a single amp failure. They were demoed here relatively recently, and they were obviously a world away from the badly behaved prop. boxes we use at the moment. They were also a pleasant improvement to the LE400s and Max 15s we hire in at the moment. Don't worry though, I'll post back after a few months with the new toys!

I have not heard of any problems with either range as yet, but the PLX2 it's a little early to say. The Tectons have votes of confidence as Adlib have them out on Tour with the Nexo Alpha system

Chris, thanks for that. I feel slightly more confident that Camco haven't just rebadged and souped up an EP2500 now! :biggrin: I think that the extra watts, and the selectable gain options have sold it on the camcos now. But keep the opinions coming!

Cheers all,

Matt

Hi Matt,

We have an amp rig consisting of both PLX and PLX2 series amps.

I have never had any problems with these and find them to be very reliable and good quality.

I have not used the Camco's so I cannot comment on them.

Good luck with the project.

Chris.

Archived