What lantern used for BBCs Sing Carols Belfast

Ekij

I was watching Sing Carols on BBC 1 on Wed 20th Dec 2006 on in Northern Ireland where they were showing the Sing Carols event at the Ulster Hall Belfast.

(Sadly) I was watching the lanterns more than the carol singers.

The lanterns being used to illuminate the organ intreagued me, while there was clearly some very expensive projector shining a variety of coloured shapes onto the organ pipes themselves, I was interested in the uplighters on the organ. We got a few oblique angle shots of the heads and they appears to be about the size of a PAR56 but they were changing colours all night.

I don't believe they were LED_Can56s because there was one shade of golden amber that (RGB) LED_Cans are particularly poor at creating.

There did not appear to be scrollers in use.

I wondered if anyone knew what they were?

• 3 weeks later...

A bit late - just spotted this...

The lighting designer was Philip (Salty) Brines, and he used two Cyberlites per side from the audience balcony to light the organ pipes. As well as that he had what he describes as cheap LED pars uplighting the columns below, that were not very bright but looked good in camera shot. He also had Chromabanks lighting the flat part of the panels below the organ, which he chnged colour on to go with the mood of the music.

Apparently choosing gobos that were close to the pattern of the pipes produced some interesting effects, and the reason the gold colour worked so well was that the pipes were painted gold anyway!

Thanks for the info Bernie.

It's obviously been a few weeks since I saw the show but I'm surprised that an 'el-cheapo' LED_Can could produce that shade of golden amber. If I remember correctly I was impressed by the colour projected this onto the pillars of the organ rather than the pipes themselves and the pillars are painted (light) blue and white.

Its a wild guess but given the stature of the show and of the LD, I sense his referal to "cheap LED fixtures" was not in reference to the £60-100 fixtures that are so prolific these days, though I'm prepared to be wrong!

If I remember correctly I was impressed by the colour projected this onto the pillars of the organ rather than the pipes themselves and the pillars are painted (light) blue and white.

I have to admit I didn't see the show, but Salty is a friend and I e-mailed him.

I agree that it is unusual to get a good amber out of LEDs unless they have specific amber LEDs in them.

TV can be deceptive though...

Archived