Scheduled Pc DMX Control?

pepperminthippo

Hi, im sorry if this question has been asked before.

I am looking for someway of controling architectural lighting via pc, with cues being automatically scheduled at certain times on certain days to make day to day running easy. I have used freestyler in the past and have found it to be great this kind of thing, but I can only make it trigger via PC time-code which only allows for cues to be triggered on a hour-to-hour basis, I need to trigger different cues on different dates. Ideally what I would like is a recuring trigger, Ie; On tuesdays at a certain time a cue triggers, then on thursdays at a certain time a different cue triggers etc etc.

If anyone knows of anyway I can do this I would be greatly appreciative.

I am open to suggestions of other software, however I would prefer to use my Enttec DMX dongle due to the budget (or lack of).

I am looking for someway of controling architectural lighting via pc, with cues being automatically scheduled at certain times on certain days to make day to day running easy.

PCStage will do this, although it will not work with your existing entec unit.

Have you looked at MagicQ?

It will work with your Enttec dongle and does schedeuled events. And its free!

Although I haven't looked too hard at the way it does events. But if you download it the manual is fairly clear and you should be able to test it very easily.

Virtually all of the PC based systems do this. For example, we have a little scheduler that lets you pick date, time, one shot, repeat, show file, play range, etc. So presumably you can find something to use with your Enttec dongle.

However, for an arch. application, with presumably reasonable cable runs, etc. I would definately consider at least using the Enttec Pro interface. The cheapest interfaces ('Open DMX') are really only DMX in spirit. It is one thing to have bad packets, flashing, and jitter on a couple of super cheap scanners or effect for a weekend DJ gig. On a semi permanent install of higher visability, it seems like support calls and client dissatisfaction would quickly devour any savings. Frankly, there are things I wouldn't use the 'pro' for either (I *am* biased), but at least it consistantly send legal DMX packets.

Good Luck,

-jjf

For most architectural lighting applications, using a PC is (a) using a sledgehammer to crack a nut, and (b) frowned upon from the reliability requirements, and © unusual in using DMX512 control.

What is it you're up to....?

For most architectural lighting applications, using a PC is (a) using a sledgehammer to crack a nut, and (b) frowned upon from the reliability requirements, and © unusual in using DMX512 control.

What is it you're up to....?

Actually, we've done quite a few architectural installs. The building folks are already using PC control for everything else. Considering the complexity of some of the 'shows', I'm not sure what simpler things you could use. I'm also not sure why reliability would be an issue.

-jjf

Depends on requirements, I suppose. For an architectural installation, by reliability, if I programme up a CBus system (a widely used choice for architectural lighting control, though not DMX512 compatible) today I expect it to still be running (and have been running non-stop) a decade and more from now, without requiring any maintenance. Sure, there will be the odd failure, but it's a reasonable expectation. I dont have the same expectation for PC installs. I've had PCs run a couple of years non-stop, but I wouldn't expect five year, let along ten plus.

My normal response for "architectural" and "dmx512" in the same sentence is "Artistic Licence LightSwitch", but it doesnt do timed :(

But I've forgotten what the correct answer to this question is: Its the LanBox, it can trigger scenes on time - Doh! It's more expensive than nothing, but cheaper and more reliable than a dedicated PC!

But I've forgotten what the correct answer to this question is: Its the LanBox, it can trigger scenes on time - Doh! It's more expensive than nothing, but cheaper and more reliable than a dedicated PC!

I'd say the 'correct' answer depends on the actual requirements. If you are lighting the palm trees with fixed lights at night, it is hard to beat an old fashioned timer for reliability. As things get more complicated, the equation changes.

Card key entry systems, security monitoring, ventilation systems, etc. are now often controlled by dedicated PCs. Our phone system at work is a good case in point. Lucent makes some nice stuff, no doubt, but our Lucent phone system - complete with big turnkey boxes and custom PCBs, failed, on average 1.5 times a year over a 7 year period. When we went to replace it, we made our decision based on MTBF type studies. Low and behold, our new system runs on an off the shelf commercial grade server.

This seems to match the studies in the industrial automation world as well. IEEE Spectrum had a good article on this not too long ago. Basically what gets missed is that small volume turnkey items often do not benefit from the latest in QC practices. Of course, even if this is ignored, the true cost of ownership is not always simple to calculate. For example, rather LanBox is 'cheaper' again depends on the actual requirements. If the install is fairly complex or is going to be updated on a regular basis, true cost over time may tilt heavily towards other solutions.

This is actually just a variation on my first post. You can buy an OpenDMX adapter for virtually nothing. But the true cost of bad, non conforming packets can ultimately be a lot higher than you up front capital 'savings'.

-jjf

Archived