sound upgrade

colinskuse

hi all I Am new hear and am looking 4 advise

I am currently running a clestion system and am looking to upgrade to but am on a budget (arnt we all)

not sure exactly what that is tell after xmas but just trying to get ideas of gd systems at good prices

thanks

colin

Hi Colin,

We need further information to enable us to recommend a system for you, if you provide answers to the following that will help us.

Which Celestion system do you currently own?

What will the system be used for? (type of music, size of venues)

Are you looking to upgrade to get better sound quality, more output level, or both?

Any idea of a rough budget? Are we talking a couple of hundred pounds or more?

Adam

Far too little information supplied for anyone to give you a reasonable response. It would be advisable to mention what you are using your gear for and what you intend to use your new gear for. A detailed description of what you already have, and your budget for any new equipment :(

Oh and by the way :o TXT speak doesn't go down very well in the Blue-Room, so pls avoid it if poss

Remember - you know your gear, and what you're using it for, but we can only go by what you tell us, and at the moment, that is really not enough

EDIT ;)

Damn Bigglesuk, you type faster than me :unsure:

We need further information to enable us to recommend a system for you, if you provide answers to the following that will help us.
hi there

ok I currentey run a custom built clestion ftr system (in total its 1.5k)

am sorry if I do use txt talk (spelling isant very good)

I am looking to get rid of the current rig and replace for better and more power I have about 4 grand

the system will be used as my main foh for live bands

we currentley run crown amps probley will keep them just add more if required

hope this helps

colin

The amount of power the amps provide isn't really relevant, a heater can pull 500W but doesn't generate any sound. I'm not meaning to sound rude, just people tend to think it's all about power when it's more about how much SPL a speaker can produce from the given power. You can put two different speakers through the same amp and one set will probably sound louder than another.

What you want to do is have a system that is capable of producing enough db level without sounding harsh when driven hard.

What size venues will you be putting the system in?

You/we need to know how many people would be in the audience and also the size of the room(s).

am sorry if I do use txt talk (spelling isant very good)

And the Blue Room has the solution for that problem in the rather helpful Spell Checker. You can find this on the tab below when you are typing a reply... :stagecrew:

In reference to your original question, with about £4000 to spend you have a reasonable range of options but for a system capable of producing concert levels in 1000 capacity venues you won't be getting a top-end system. Possibly some mid-range options (tempted to suggest HK but I find their quality to be inconsistent). It may depend on what you define as 'better' in PA terms. Or perhaps you should look into some second-hand kit - e.g. Nexo, Fohhn or d&b Audiotechnik, although you may need to stretch the budget slightly for some of those.

The only other thing I would add is that it may be a good idea to keep the system as modular as possible. This allow you to take out only as much as a venue needs.

Hope this helps a bit.

Steve

Hi Colin,

Can you provide more details on the amps... ideally the guys here will need quantity & model numbers

e.g.

2x MicroTech 1200

4x MicroTech 2400

This will give the guys a chance to spec up a system based on your current amps or (if req'd) suggest additional amps.

Thanks!

Hi Colin,

Can you provide more details on the amps... ideally the guys here will need quantity & model numbers

e.g.

2x MicroTech 1200

4x MicroTech 2400

This will give the guys a chance to spec up a system based on your current amps or (if req'd) suggest additional amps.

Thanks!

hi Chris

I currently have 2 x microtech 1200 and 2 x 2400

I'm struggling to match speakers to your amps that would give you enough level for a venue containing 1000 people. Recently I've tended to use d&b system or self powered systems so don't really know about the quality/level of other passive systems that would match your amps. Someone else on the forum will know the systems better. I don't want to recommend something wrong to you.

People have mentioned the HK boxes. I've used some cheap ones which I wasn't very impressed with, but I have also used the CT112 boxes as monitors and was impressed by the sound of them. They have serious amounts of energy in them.

All I would say is get your top speakers up as high as possible! The higher they are the lower the level will be at front ,whilst still being loud enough there and at the back of the venue. It's worth investing in stands that can get your speakers up a few metres in the air safely (if the dimensions venue allows it).

Colin,

Try RCF Acustica- the 12 or the 15 top box, with a single 18 bin underneath. Granted not the cheapest way to go, but you can get the top box with a narrow dispersion/ longer throw horn on, which is a neat little trick. They'll also sound great, will be very very loud (99db efficiency in the top, 98 in the bin) and will handle the power in your amplifiers. if youve got 4 amps you can use them bridged, one per box, and not push the speakers too hard. Seriously though, thats a massive amount of power, even with 8 ohm loads, and to make the best use of them your gonna need to throw a reasonable amount of wedge after them, whatever you buy.

Alternatively, shove the amps on ebay- theyre world renowned and no longer available as a new item- they'll be queuing up at the internet cafes to offer you a fortune for them.

Colin,

Try RCF Acustica- the 12 or the 15 top box, with a single 18 bin underneath. Granted not the cheapest way to go, but you can get the top box with a narrow dispersion/ longer throw horn on, which is a neat little trick. They'll also sound great, will be very very loud (99db efficiency in the top, 98 in the bin) and will handle the power in your amplifiers. if youve got 4 amps you can use them bridged, one per box, and not push the speakers too hard. Seriously though, thats a massive amount of power, even with 8 ohm loads, and to make the best use of them your gonna need to throw a reasonable amount of wedge after them, whatever you buy.

Alternatively, shove the amps on ebay- theyre world renowned and no longer available as a new item- they'll be queuing up at the internet cafes to offer you a fortune for them.

thanks for that rob I had been looking at a rcf system I was also looking at the jbl mrx range

selling the amps on is on my mind and replacing them wen I get the new system

what are peoples thoughts on the jbm mrx range ??

Archived