Help With Par 56 Cans

arny

I am new in the industry and have recently purchased 8 par can 56 long's. I currently dony have any dimmer packs instead I aim to rent them when I need to. I have a couple of questions (probably very obvious) please can anyone help.

Can Par 56 Cans have 15 amp plugs? My par can only has 1.5mm cable coming from it.

Can They Be linked up to socapex and connected straight into dimmers (such as the avolites art 2000t) or is that sort of dimmer two powerfull? Bearing in mind that I would be using a lot more pars.

Thank you for your help

Can Par 56 Cans have 15 amp plugs?

Yes.

My par can only has 1.5mm cable coming from it.

That's more than enough for the 300w that a PAR56 will draw.

Can They Be linked up to socapex and connected straight into dimmers (such as the avolites art 2000t)

Yes.

or is that sort of dimmer two powerfull?

There's no such thing as a dimmer that's "too powerful" for a lantern (unlike an amp which can be too powerful for a speaker). As long as you're not connecting a load to a dimmer that's greater than that which the dimmer is rated for, you'll be absolutely fine.

But why should that stop the guy from buying a few small parcans? I mean, what better way to start a basic lighting kit collection than with a few of the most basic kind of lantern? Given the current trend for newbies to dive straight in and buy themselves some cheap sh!tty moving lights and a fancy-but-useless Behringer desk, we should be commending Arny for making such a sensible first purchase, and answering his questions as helpfully as possible.

But why should that stop the guy from buying a few small parcans? I mean, what better way to start a basic lighting kit collection than with a few of the most basic kind of lantern? Given the current trend for newbies to dive straight in and buy themselves some cheap sh!tty moving lights and a fancy-but-useless Behringer desk, we should be commending Arny for making such a sensible first purchase, and answering his questions as helpfully as possible.

Too bl00dy right Gareth, we all have to start from somewhere. I would now reccomend that Arny now delves headlong into the various arguments / threads on Dimmer Packs and Lighting desks, :unsure: best of luck mate :( , You're on your own :o

Edit:

We all have our own opinions and budgets, you need to weigh up your own requirements to find the relevant products to suit your requirements ;)

Bearing in mind that I would be using a lot more pars.

Could you explain this sentence further ?

Bearing in mind that I would be using a lot more pars.

Could you explain this sentence further ?

If I do any lighting work for any school plays or anything else I would buy or rent more par cans.

Sorry to sound like a boring teacher ;)

:unsure: Remember, pars 56's, which will start to look dimmer compared to 500w or higher lanterns, aren't the best lantern for all jobs, even for school shows. Stick by good practice and try use relevant lanterns where possible. It'll give you more experience in the long run!

I would say that the next step up (in terms of lantern stock) after you get some more 56 cans, would be to get some some par 64s with either 500w or 1kw lamps.

The reprocussions of getting more powerful lamp'd lanterns in regards to your dimmers and power supply are for another thread, but feel free to search around for information and views of using such lanterns on 13a power supplies and the similar. It's been covered many times before, so you shouldn't have much trouble.

Tom

The PAR56 is useful because it is cheap in comparison with say a 500 watt Fresnel, and efficient with 24,000 Candela coming out of a 11 x 23 degree medium flood lens in comparison to a Patt123 with 16,960 Candela for a 16 degree spot focus and 5,400 candela for a flood focus. The high output allows you to get more light out after passing through a heavily saturated gel and maintenance is much cheaper due to less moving parts.

There are safety issues with wiring which can be overcome with the use of a ParSafe which still allows easy focussing.

The main disadvantage with a school play is its oval beam with a reasonably hard edge. This makes it difficult to get a good focus as we tend to divide the stage into squares for focus areas, however diffusion gels can overcome some of these problems. See Frost and Filter.

I use PAR56's for sidelight and back-light on amateur shows where they excel.

PAR56 - The beam shape and the fact that there is no control over the beam quality must be remembered.

I don't think it is fair to compare a Par56 to a 500W Fresnel since a Par56 has no optical chain and a parcan and Fresnel produce totally different beam shapes.

I'd agree with Don, Par56 (WFL) work will as backlight, although for side light you might want to consider Fresnels with barndoors to prevent any spill.

The elliptical beam shape of a par can must be considered when planning the plot and during focussing.

Archived