Back Supports

rmarchand

In the venue I work at we have a pretty heavy, metal barrier that sits in the stage when it's open to the public. It's built in sections, but the weight is not distributed evenly, and is awkward to lift, even with two people.

Can anyone reccomend a manufacturer of back supports that could help lower the strain being put on the crew members having to remove the barrier or re-build it? Are the sort of back supports used by people lifting weights in the gym good enough or is their a proper theatre solution?

Thanks

Can anyone reccomend a manufacturer of back supports that could help lower the strain being put on the crew members having to remove the barrier or re-build it?
Possibly not the answer you need, but to be honest, if you're lifting stuff (either as an individual or a group) to the extent that you need back support then either a) you're doing it wrong or b) you shouldn't be lifting anything that heavy or c) BOTH.

I have to agree with Ynot. The provision of PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) such as back supports are the very last resort accepted by HSE. It sounds to me you will need to carry out a risk assessment on the job of removing or installing these barriers. Have a look here for some advise and hints from HSE.

Without knowing the details of the specific barrier, I'd suggest that you first look at changing the shape and size of the sections you have to lift.

Let us know how you go.

/snip

I'd suggest that you first look at changing the shape and size of the sections you have to lift.

/snip

That may be impractical or cost prohibitive. Can you look at a way of moving the sections with mechanical assistance

A motor from the grid or block and tackle with triple purchase for instance.

A back support shouldn't even be used as a last resort. If the sections are heavy enough that you need one

you need some form of assistance

The provision of PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) such as back supports are the very last resort accepted by HSE.

Back supports are not PPE, and it would be foolish to regard them that way. (Because any "protection" offered is largely illusory, and a psychological phenomenon called "risk compensation" means that perceived protection tends to encourage more risky behaviour - in the case of a back protector taking the form of maybe trying to lift something you wouldn't attempt without it.)

Otherwise I agree with both posts above.

Your best protection is good manual handling technique (and teamwork).

Its also a good idea to keep your *real* back support in good condition - core stability is important, and well worth spending a bit of time in the gym (working on core stability - step away from the bench press and the bicep curl machine!) or maybe doing a bit of pilates. Thats especially important if you've already spent a bit of time in the gym because lads especially always tend to work on their upper body and neglect the muscles that hold the upper body up, if you see what I mean.

I know thats a bit of a glib answer, and probably less helpful than you were looking for. Soz.

That said, I'm told that the wide elasticated neoprene back supports you can get are good. Not so much because they offer a lot of external support, but more because they keep the muscles in your lower back warm. Which reminds me: warm up! Chances are you're not going to be up for the Japanese option of team calisthenics, but it might be possible to plan the work so that you do some lighter lifts and a bit of aerobic work to get the blood pumping before going into the heavier stuff. (For example, by breaking the barrier into sections before coming back to move the first one.)

Another good thing to look at is whether there are any simple mechanical aids you can use to make the handling less awkward. I'm talking about quite simple things like using podgers to line up bolt holes, prybars to make small adjustments, etc.

hth

Sean

x

I've thought of using a 'Folding Crane' that would normally be used for lifting engines out of cars for use in a theatre for lifting sections of a heavy pit rail out and wheeling them to the store area.

I think it'd be very effective, if a tad fiddly, as the boom doesn't reach past the front of the feet (so it won't tip over).

Machine Mart do them for 150 quid or so. You'd just need to put good anchor points on your hand rail sections.

Mike.

In the construction industry there is a general guideline that anything over 25kg should be moved using plant, rather than by any given number of people.

While this has been significantly increased in our industry, it still serves as a useful guideline for the point where other methods should be considered.

If the items are too heavy for two people to move, then some form of mechanised assistance should be considered - this may be as simple as a baggage cart or skate, or something more complex such as a pump-truck, or even a folding crane!

Suitable plant depends on the situation (and budget) - there are many possible options.

In the construction industry there is a general guideline that anything over 25kg should be moved using plant, rather than by any given number of people.

I can't think of many medium range speakers below this weight. Or how about a 2Kw Strand 252 with effects wheel etc.

We're doomed.

Again ;)

I think it also slipped by the general public that the heaviest parcel via Royal Mail is now 20Kg.

Interesting point

Did you all realise that this is the first post where warm ups for production, rather than performance people has been mentioned. Out way of working usually means hoiking the crew away from their tea, then lifting the heaviest items first, to 'get rid' of them. It would be interesting to see peoples expressions when the crew start do do their warm ups - a video would be better than the cod panto!

The pre-work warm up is a good idea in thoery. We talked about this a while ago, If the warm up was to take say 15 minutes would this mean calling crew in at 8.45 for a 9.00 get-in, which means they go into overtime, or does the In start at 9.15, losing 15 minutes of fit-up time??

Obviously the staff would prefer the former option! :stagecrew:

And before the replies come flooding in, yes, losing 15 minutes is better than ****ing your back!

Mike.

It would be interesting to see peoples expressions when the crew start do do their warm ups - a video would be better than the cod panto!

I like to think that most theatrical types are pretty tolerant of "eccentric" behaviour and wouldn't make a big deal of it. I've been getting a bit of a warm up before doing anything strenuous for years now, and I'm pretty sure I'm reaping the benefits <touches wood>. I'm pretty stealthy about it and almost never get rumbled, but I do know a few people who're less self-conscious than I am and after the first time nobody really bats an eye.

I spent a few months on a college placement in Japan <gulp> almost 20 years ago, and I was gobsmacked passing building sites on the way to work as the labourers were stood around in a big circle doing their morning excercises with the foreman counting and calling out instructions. I was a bit self conscious when I got to the office and discovered that everyone did it there too, behind their desks in a huge open plan office. I think its a great idea, though I don't suppose its likely to catch on over here any time soon.

Mind, there was another thing I'd never heard of before that I thought would never catch on over here - because its very silly and I thought British people would be far too reserved & self-conscious to go for it. They called it "karaoke", which shows what I know. :stagecrew:

Sean

x

Archived