Foundation Degrees

All,

I'm interested - from a personal viewpoint (not a market research standpoint) - in the general perception that Blue Roomers have of Foundation Degrees...

The Education versus Training issue has been debated at length, and I wouldn't want to rake over that, but, if you were looking for further / higher education, would you know what a foundation degree would offer you? Could you place it in the present hierarchy of qualifications? Would you want to take this on to further qualifications?

Similarly, if as an employer an job applicant has foundation degree on his CV, what would be your reaction?

Just curious...

Simon

Well, I guess the deafening silence speaks for itself!

I'll assume that readers aren't sure what foundation degrees are and that employers won't know what they're worth when applicants put them on their CV....?

I understand that foundation degrees will eventually replace HNDs, and although administered presently by (some) Universities, Colleges will be able to award foundation degrees under the new Further Education and Training Bill (BBC News).

Simon, I was going to reply but I thought I would let others speak first! My understanding of a foundation degree is that it is a way into university if you do not gain the right qualifications at A Level or equivalent...is that correct? In that case I am not sure how a foundation degree on its own will hold much in the way of a qualification? Or maybe my understanding is incorrect?

Tom,

FdSc will be an HND replacement, so it requires a minimum of one A level for entry (degrees require 2 A levels). Some institutions are offering 1 year top ups to full degree status. Some are offering accelerated programmes. By wayof contrast, a matching section for HND to degree can take 12 to 18 months.

My personal concern was the potential confusion between academic and vocational approaches and the blurring effect arising from using the term "degree" to describe them both.

It's just a personal viewpoint, but I suspect that many will scratch their heads as to what these beasts will really stand for. HNDs we understood... foundation degrees?... How long before everyone has "a degree" irrespective of flavour ? ;-)

Simon

One other point - the initials FD. Somebody with a GCSE equivalent, Level 2 First Diploma BTEC is often described as FD (as in FD, ND, HND), so a FD-Degree will no doubt confuse people. It does me. I get little emails telling me to go to xyz college to look at their FD - at some point, I bet I get a surprise!

Archived