Advice for young budding lighting technician

Robertwatson

Hi I'm 21 and based in Essex have been working with lighting and other entertainment projects for around 6 years now. I currently operate a Martin Xciter with a few MAC Krypton's, CX2's, Robe movers and some various other effects. This is for a small entertainment company. I'm looking at different courses that I could do but I don't know if they are worth while. I know that some companies take o lighting engineers for training etc. Please advice on how to get on th ladder.

Many thanks for your time

Robert Watson

Hi, welcome to BR :huh:

Maybe try looking on the known entertainment job advertising places. Stage, PSA, etc. (someone listed a load on here not too long ago: My Webpage)

I'd be more specific with what sort of LX jobs (club, rock n roll, theatre) but you don't say what sort of work you have been doing before.

Course wise.. depending on what sort of qualification your wanting to get you could try looking around your different colleges in your area for maybe Btec technical theatre type courses, or what could be more useful to you.. city and guilds courses in something electrical, can't remember the relevant numbers/names, hopefully someone will be kind enough to post them.

Depending on what qualifications you have already (GCSE's & alevels, etc) you might be able to get onto a lighting design course at somewhere like central, but thats quite theatre orientated, so if your more of a rock n roll LD it might get boring.

With these, bar the electrical course's, you could get boring if you've been doing the job for a few years as, specially with an FE/btec course, they have to cover everything for the people that haven't done anything before.

HTH.

Tom

Personally I say go along to your local venues. Make yourself known and show your enthusiasm. Be prepared to work/help out for free initially. You might not be able to be operating to start with and might have to just 'push boxes' etc, but it's a perfect way to get all sorts of experience. Most venues will welcome genuniely interested people and in time you will naturally progress up or opportunities will arise as a consequence. Just get stuck in!

The entertainment jobs that I have been doing are all different music types. Mostly dinner dances for companies in and around the Hilton's etc......

Thank you for the sites I will look now..... The post was really just saying help to all the people that have made it doing the various projects like concerts, corporate things etc....

Course wise I have asked for info on the BTEC Diploma on Lighting engineering for concerts. Its only to add the the bits of paper that I have already. As hopefully it might give me a better chance.

I suppose I'm just bored of the jobs that I'm doing at the moment especially when I'm limited to only a few mac's, CX2's and lots of pars.

Would you think that I am doing ok by using the Xciter or do you think I will be best getting on the Avolites bandwagon.

The tool you use isn't important, it's what you do with it! oooer...

It would certainly be useful to learn any of the more popular consoles but there's no rush IMO. Having said that, I will of course recommend Avo (!) I will be happy to help but may be a bit too far away? Feel free to PM me. You might even get a chance to play on a desk noone else has.... :huh:

The tool you use isn't important, it's what you do with it! oooer...

It would certainly be useful to learn any of the more popular consoles but there's no rush IMO. Having said that, I will of course recommend Avo (!) I will be happy to help but may be a bit too far away? Feel free to PM me. You might even get a chance to play on a desk noone else has.... :huh:

Ha Ha Well I have looked at doing the pearl training course etc... Where are you based? I did look purchasing the Pearl but the budget wasn't there for me at the time.

Course wise I have asked for info on the BTEC Diploma on Lighting engineering for concerts. Its only to add the the bits of paper that I have already. As hopefully it might give me a better chance.

Um. I've never heard of this one, which is a little odd. I'm guessing that it is really something else and this is just what the college is calling it?

Bit of cross wire. These are the Professional Diplomas. A bit of background.

People from 16-18 typically have the BTEC/A level type of qualification, then they might go to uni and get a higer qualification. They come out with a BA or Bsc and look for work. Consider somebody with few paper qualification but 10 years experience in theatre lighting in a busy provincial theatre. They know a huge amount, and have real practical skills - but no higher level qualification. Quite a few would like one, but have a full time job and giving it up for three years is unthinkable. The solution is a Professional Diploma. It is at the higher education level, but can be studied part time, with large elements being things they do all the time - just a case of using their real work as the practical elements of the course.

There are a few snags - the main one being that the colleges don't make much money out of them due to the funding arrangements vs amount of time it takes to run them.

So to do them, you really need to be doing the job, and find a college running the programme.

For additional information - the contents are actually HND material. The qualification titles are chosen to fit in with typical work being carried out in the industry.

You'll find the actual contents of the units, and the things you have to do to pass, are pretty sensible as long as you are working in the industry. If you aren't, it will be difficult to arrange the practical work that needs to be assessed.

Thank you very much for your info on this courses. I think ill do them later in life if I need them. Ill carry on with the practical part of learning. I just thought I would post this on the blue room to get some advice. Thank you for your time. I'm just in the process of uploading my cv on taylor phillips. Hopefully that will help in getting a job with a biger company.

If I was in your situation I'd be trying to get on a tour with Cirque de Soleil or a Disney type show and start doing any job you can get, probably follow spot and absorb what is going on in the various departments, as theres usually a heavy turnover of crew on these shows you should be able to work your way up the ranks. if you get to know people it will do you more use than any diploma.In the commercial world nobody I know gives a damn about paper qualifications, but they are required in govt run venues and schools.It may help your chances if you can get a riggers ticket and a forkllift ticket and an elevated work platform ticket, as these sort of skills may get you in.Theres no shortage of lighting designers and sound operators but all-rounders are more likely to get a start,after that its up to you.

Depending on what qualifications you have already (GCSE's & alevels, etc) you might be able to get onto a lighting design course at somewhere like central, but thats quite theatre orientated, so if your more of a rock n roll LD it might get boring.

Tom

Have too say that it also depends on what type of projects you thorw yourself at....

Here at LIPA we get the chance to work on other evetns. e.g. concerts and stuff outside of LIPA, so there is allways the chance that you will get more experiance than just theatre!

HTH

Alex

P.s. Welcome to Blue-Room! :D

if you can get a riggers ticket ...

Like the new PLASA Rigging Certificate PLASA Rigging Certificate!

HTH

Alex

Where abouts in Essex are you? What are your local theatres like? Are you close enough to the West End to get on to a crew there, it can be a good way in to Ins and Outs and meeting people. As said previously getting involved in local theatres can get you the experience and a foot in the door.

Smaller tours, contract jobs are also good things to get experience with, especially while you can afford to do it!

Archived