Pleated or Unpleated Legs/Borders

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello there

just a quickie

what would people suggest to be a better option of masking when using booms on the sides of the stage Hard/soft ?

just considering the amount of kiddies there might be on Set and like wise the amount of moving scenery that we will be using I just don't want things getting snagged and all

what do you think?

If you've got the space and the money hards are almost always better.

With booms and children I would think you may have to re-focus regularly as they are almost guaranteed to walk in to the lanterns if they are low enough, make sure you budget for plenty of elastoplast.

Does the above general consensus, apply to back and side drops in a more live band scenario? I'd not thought about it until I saw this post. I suppose in different gigs different widths are going to be required so in the biggest you'd be flat and in the smallest fully pleated. And now I'm realising that I've answered my own question. Still no reason to stop typin........... ;)

what would people suggest to be a better option of masking when using booms on the sides of the stage Hard/soft ?

I've lit a good number of ballets with a lot of kids, and I've always found that booms are less likely to get walked into with hard masking. The reason for this is that the particular hard masking flats I was using weren't hung, they had braces supporting them and so I could therefore put the booms in the corner between the flat and the brace, shielding them a little bit. Of course, it doesn't stop the child walking into them as they come offstage, but means it's almost impossible to walk into them as you go onstage. I didn't ever have too many problems with having to refocus - always just said to the kids that the lights will be hot, so you'll hurt yourself, and if you do knock one of the lights, please tell the stage manager who will tell me so I can fix it - we won't be mad, we just need to know. This had a pretty good success rate - better than telling the kids "you must not touch these lights" - always found if you do that they're far too scared to tell you if they do knock one!

for masking, flat. for decoration, fullness.

if you have flat, you can always give the impression of fullness by tying the ties closer together (makes the leg narrower, obviously). if you have fullness, you can't make them flat. so flat is better.

Archived