T26/T27

pscandrett

Hi, a simple question which I can't find a definitive answer to - I've checked the archives and the wiki, and places like the Philips websites, but can't get anything authoritative.

What's the difference between a T26 an a T27 lamp?

Very often they're listed as T26/T27 and most things I've unearthed seem to treat them as identical. Other things I've heard include the filament layout being different (what's the point?) or one being 230V and one 240V.

Can anyone please clarify? No real reason, just curious!

Many thanks

The difference is the filament design.

The T26 is a monoplane filament, all of the wires are in the same plane.

The T27 is a biplane filament, the wires run in front of and behind a single plane alternately, the reason for this was to decrease the width of the filament to produce a more compact source of light.

In my experience there is little difference when these lamps are used in fresnels or PCs, but there can be advantages if you use T27's in profiles, especially with gobos.

In my experience there is little difference when these lamps are used in fresnels or PCs, but there can be advantages if you use T27's in profiles, especially with gobos.

Great, thanks for that explanation. We use them in Strand Quartets; from what you say then there's no real discernable difference then.

Many thanks.

It's more important to make sure that you get the correct voltage variant for your location. Contrary to popular belief the voltage in the UK is still 240V. The European 230V "standard" has built-in tolerances to accomodate the voltages in all member states and the standard is there to ensure that equipment on sale in the EU can safely be used anywhere in the Union. However, running a lamp designed for 230V operation at 240V, whilst not unsafe, will cause a serious degradation of it's life expectancy.

Don't automatically rely on "reputable" suppliers - a couple of years ago I was given a batch of 230V T25s from Stage Electrics in Birmingham and didn't notice until much later.

David

Archived