Electrical Training

Think carefully about what you want to do with the qualification and indeed what you want to learn, as well as degrees consider HND's and C+G's. A degree in Electrical and Elenctronic engineering will have elements of computer programming, maths and physics as well as the more expected circuit and component design and use. Also a degree will not neccessarily teach you to wire a ceeform or what type of cable to use for a particular application (that is more the realm of C+G's). Most Universities will offer some kind of electronics degree although those which offer ELECTRICAL (i.e. heavy power systems) is decreasing. University of Bath (where I am) do offer the full range of course including a course in electrical systems, however the second year is pretty dull (although friends at other uni's say the same about theirs).

good luck

Ed

better go to my first after-Christmas lecture now......

Thank- you everyone for your advice. After looking through Ucas, there are more places than I thought. egw your advice has also given me alot to think about. I have just finished a C+G in Theatre Electrics and just want to progress further as I coming into contact with mains power etc, on a regular basis. :) :)

An electrical eng university degree may not give you practical hands on experience. You'll may be able to recite maxwell equations, do silly things with complex numbers, but not necessarily learn how to wire a plug.

Another thing is whether you can stick learning stuff that you can't obviously see as useful outside uni. If so a vocational course may be more for you.

Think about exactly what you want to do, and also what you might want to do, if for whatever reason you don't end up in theatre. A uni degree can be useful if you decide to go into other things..e.g. it may get you onto the Managers training course (yes even elect eng!) for Marks & Spencer etc.

On the other hand a more practical qualification is good if you want to go into a trade e.g. electrician.

As both Tuxlux and I have said, a degree in Electrical Engineering will not provide you with hands-on practical training. However, it will teach you about the theory behind that type of system and should you decide to go into another part of the electrical industry (or indeed another industry) then it would be an advantage. A degree can be really good fun, go to the open days but remember that the Universities are trying to sell themselves and certainly won't mention things like Maxwell's equations. Also if you apply and do an interview that doesn't mean you have to go there - ask the interviewer whether they think the course will provide the training you want. It sounds from your posts as though you are more interested in being an electrician for a venue or production; actually working with electrical systems, servicing and installing them. If that's true then I'd suggest you work on building practical experience, you could try my suggestion below.

I would suggest that you talk to local theatres and hire companies and find out what qualifications they expect a freelance electrician to have, you could also P.M. some of the members of this forum to see what qualifications they have. Quite simply I couldn't easily get a job as an electrician on the strength of my degree course, however, on the strength of practical experience and proof that I understand the regulations I have done (C&G 238 - wiring regulations). If you work for a company which does a lot of work in installations they may well be a NICEIC approved contractor and as somebody working for them they certify that you have a level of competence (in effect, though I have doubts about the quality of my explanation).

The very best of luck, both options have good and bad points and it really depends what you want to do.

Ed

P.S. Hope this isn't too long :blink:

I'd suggest looking at city+guilds 236,you maybe able to skip some of it,the optional 3rd year (c course) is almost the same as an H.N.C ( took me 6 more months at collage doing mainly maffs), at the end you get to call yourself an electrical technition (2 up from an electrician).

If your after more praticle training it maybe worth while going for the AM1 and AM2 tests.

I gave up the idea of doing a a degree in electrical engineering as all the course's I found had a large electronics content,,when things go wrong I want a big blue flash and a loud bang,not a puff of smoke and a few tiny sparks.

Archived