General Lighting Rig

Jimbo The Wiz

if your sound stuff is on the same ring main as the lighting stuff you're sure to get some interference. use better sound stuff ;) and shorter cables...

Sorry but no. A well designed sound rig will not pick up any noise from the lighting rig.

I've been responsible for installs with well over 5,000 audio circuits, all to full broadcast spec and not one of them would pick up the slighest bit of crud from other systems.

well its happened to me when I've been doing it. then again, it wasnt a very 'well designed' system. and knowing ben (no offense) nor is his tbph. if you run a sound cable near a power cable, specially if theres 15 amps going thru it.. you can pick up interference.

I shouldnt have said 'sure to'.. I meant 'can do'.. if that makes sense.

it wasnt my sound system, and it was rubbish, I dont do sound, if I can help it

think it was technician, as gear was d&b speakers on a yamaha dm desk, it was quite low level signals

my DMX ran next to sound, if that might have caused it, also all lights were on full for that act

well its happened to me when I've been doing it. then again, it wasnt a very 'well designed' system. and knowing ben (no offense) nor is his tbph. if you run a sound cable near a power cable, specially if theres 15 amps going thru it.. you can pick up interference.

I shouldnt have said 'sure to'.. I meant 'can do'.. if that makes sense.

One day I'll get around to writing my 'How to do sound properly' book. :)

"my DMX ran next to sound, if that might have caused it, also all lights were on full for that act"

If you lights are on full that is when the dimmers are doing the least amount of work - ie open circuit so interference should be at a minimum.

We have often run DMX down the audio snake and run our desk off sound mains without any problems, after all DMX is just a high frequancy balanced line level signal.

D&B Speakers (so probably D&B Amps too) are one of the best system you can buy.

There must of been an element of crap in the system somewhere, (I doubt it was the digi 6's as they're used bu several major film lighting co's) sound desk, badly made sound cables, unbalanced lines etc...

Remember the fault is never at the source you expect!

Regards

Tim

• 2 weeks later...
we bought our frog for £1500 from Stage Electrics, good simple desk. It even fell out of the tower once, the back came off and it still worked. However we're just about to do a show with movers and the frog is no good and we need to hire a fat frog, so if your ever going to use movers spend the little bit extra and get a fat frog rather than a frog.

who would be hiring out d&b in southhampton

If he's still around, you could try Ian Groves (Rigbee PA) on 023 8043 2164. Used to work with him at Soton Guildhall. He has lots of REALLY nice kit, and he knows his onions. May not do "dry hire" though...

Archived