Gun shot effect

Dan_theatre

I am involved in a theatre production of 'The long and the short and the tall'. I need to create the effect of a shower of machine gun bullets hitting the wall of a wooden hut. My initial idea may be to use squibs to create the effect of ricochets and to dislodge planted fragments of the set.

Does anyone have any information about where I might source them or do you have any alternative ideas. I am not interested in making any kind of home made explosive.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I am involved in a theatre production of 'The long and the short and the tall'. I need to create the effect of a shower of machine gun bullets hitting the wall of a wooden hut. My initial idea may be to use squibs to create the effect of ricochets and to dislodge planted fragments of the set.

Does anyone have any information about where I might source them or do you have any alternative ideas. I am not interested in making any kind of home made explosive.

Dan, hi, and welcome to the Blue Room.

Couple of questions before you start...

Have you any experience in the use and safety of pyrotechnic effects?

What sort of space is involved with this scene on stage?

Will there be actors on stage near the wall being 'squibbed'?

There are commercial bullet hits from a couple of suppliers - a squib would struggle to move much and the flame is too yellow to sell the hit. Hollywood has taught us that bullet hits leave tidy holes and spark if they hit something so we expect that, and don't get me started on the distance the body flies when hit by a single round in movies.

This is one of those jobs where buying in the experience may be the best option.

OTOH you could make the holes in the wood and fit a inner skin to hold the "holes" in place, during the bangs the inner skin is released and with a touch of smoke and some inner light the carnage is revealed

C

I've not done it but I would be thinking along the lines of:

Drill holes out of the wood, pack with sawdist and use air pressure to "blow" out the holes, puff of dust and a hole appears.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I do have fair amount of experience in pyrotechnics, mostly I favour le maitre equipment. The space is the inside of a wooden hut on stage. The area is roughly 5.5m deep by 6.5m wide. There are performers on-stage during the moment but it is feasble to keep a 2.5 - 3m area clear around the effects.

Couple of questions before you start...

Have you any experience in the use and safety of pyrotechnic effects?

What sort of space is involved with this scene on stage?

Will there be actors on stage near the wall being 'squibbed'?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.

try talking to Theatrical Pyrotechnics Ltd for advice on use of their bullet hits, They have two strengths, not sure which you will need or will be safe for your set.

Basically you drill a small hole in your set, insert the bullet hit from behind and dress the front of the hole. they are a hard wire device, so you need to work out your firing system, especially for a sequenced firing, Pyro-pak airburst system with harness is good, possibly hire from JustFX and get advice on use.

Best of luck

Mik

• 2 weeks later...
Saw this done once with a series of mouse traps on the other side. A hole had been drilled in the wooden base right through to the painted audience facing surface. a plug of plasticine was placed on the inside where the mouses head would be, and the holed filled with chalk. The face was covered with a bit of tissue painted with watered down emulsion to match the set. The bar falling forced the plasticine through with a puff of smoke. a staggered pice of cord set them off in sequence when pulled from the edge of the stage. Worked really well. Took about ten minutes to set and repaint each night.

...use air pressure to...

Careful, don't want to spark the whole air pressure debate!

I'm not sure what air pressure debate you are thinking of.

Certainly people who don't know what they are doing shouldn't use high power pneumatic systems but I was thinking of a nice low pressure system (say 3bar). A 2 Litre fizzy-drink bottle can be pumper to 3 bar with a bicycle pump and would be more than adequate a reservoir and pressure for this task.

Archived