Gigging

the kid

ive heard elara is around 250+ mark from SE, nice desk if u dont want too many intelligents

Nice if you don't want any Nodding Buckets I'd say...

;)

Stu

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ben thats amazingly cheap for par56s...

also.. if you are looking into uber cheap territory, you can get working DMX dimmers for £50 / 4 channels now. the dimming itself is ##### though - with some s4 pars attached 0 - 40% did nothing, 40-45% seemed to do 0 - 60% intensity on the lantern, and 45 - 100% on dimmer did the remaining.

oh the ones I use as door wedges?

You can use your Strand 200 as a door wedge if you wish. I've used many lighting desks in my time - pretty much every Strand desk from MMS onwards, more or less anything Arri/ETC have ever made, a few Zero88 ones that have driven me up the wall, my lovely Wholehog, a few Pearls, one or two Compulites, and probably a few others I've forgotten about - and as an experienced console operator (with respect, probably far more experienced than you) I happen to think that the 200 is a truly lovely small lighting desk. So lovely that I have one of my own ...

cheeky Stage Electrics catalouge suggests they hire out the jts, when they hire out the dts's I notice

Erm... I don't claim to know everything, but I've never heard either of those terms, and I used to work for Stage Electrics, in the Control team (where the Dimmers are prepped) Am I missing something?

I know the dims you are talking about

yeah, I think its an ok price for dts ones

cheeky Stage Electrics catalouge suggests they hire out the jts, when they hire out the dts's I notice

By your post I can only presume you mean SLX make it look like your going to get James Thomas Engineering cans (your JTS) when in fact you get DTS?

If so, nowt wrong with a DTS can - we've got loads at work, and I swear by them - it's that lovely chunky Parsafe that makes them so nice :)

Stu

yep, thats right

didnt say their was anything worng with dts cans, love em myself, got four, but I was just making the point that slx were misadvertising

Oh I see - rightyho, just had to clear it up!

Most people don't say what your going to get when you order a Par 64 (as in on their actual hire list) so I suppose they'd use that in their defence if you questioned them over it! :)

Stu

yep, thats right

didnt say their was anything worng with dts cans, love em myself, got four, but I was just making the point that slx were misadvertising

If you order a Par56 can from a hire comapny like SLX, you'll get a Par56 can - it might not be exactly the same one that's pictured in the catalogue, but that sort of thing doesn't matter to the majority of their customers. When you're loading a 45-foot trailer full of electrics out of a hire company's warehouse, checking that every lantern matches the picture in the catalogue is pretty low down the priority list .... :)

When you pay for a hire, you're paying for a Par64 Black Lantern. If they were misadvertising, they'd've actually said "James Thomas Par64 Can" - in the same way they say "Strand 550 Control Desk". I agree that certain brands of Par64s are better than others, but if you're hiring, you have to allow a certain level of flexability.

If you're that particular about what type of can you're hiring, I'm sure if you spoke nicely enough to the guys at SLX they'd organise it for you.

Edit: Some people type faster than me :)

Whoopie Do! Is it not still a parcan offering all the functions of a parcan!

If you got a pancan instead of a Mac600 then you'd have grounds to compain..

Until then - Get Out More!

Tim

Archived