DCX 2496

J Pearce

I have had a search and picked up some bits of info on the DCX2496, but want to know more.

I am considering buying one to live in an amp rack I am building.

The outputs would be as follows;

1 - Sub L

2 - Sub R

3 - Mid/High L

4 - Mid/High R

5 - Full Range mono w/delay (not always used)

6 - Full Range mono w/delay (not always used)

Is the DCX2496 suitable for this setup? Also how much eq processing can you use, as I am looking through the remote software and with all crossovers/eqs disabled its still saying 51% available, so I'm inclined to mistrust it...

What is the sound quality like?

How reliable is the unit?

Can you run a long serial cable to control it or even better send the rs232 down the multicore, as I want to leave it at stage end, then use my playback pc to control it from FOH.

Thanks

IIRC you can control these units via ethernet. So a run of Cat5 with the multi and you're done.

I think it may be RS485 rather than ethernet. The connection is a standard CAT5 type ethernet but the signal isn't.

I believe it can do the six way configuration that you want. I was thinking of getting one recently but ended up going for a DBX driverack 260 which has very similar functionality but a rather higher price tag. From what I've heard, the Behringer is actually quite good, although at the price, it's worth getting two so you have a spare. Reliability is not dissimilar to other Behringer products.

Hi Jon,

I've got a DCX2496, and so far for me it has proved to be very useful, and totally reliable. Sound quality is just fine. I've had compliments on sound quality at gigs when using the DCX, so it is definitely not detrimental.

I don't know whether it can be set up as you describe without working through the (not brilliant) manual, but you could ask Behringer themselves via the Online Support page: Behringer Online Support.

They are normally pretty helpful, and do know the products inside out.

Re the RS-232 link, the standard specifies 50 feet as the limit, but with a decent shielded bit of cable it will go beyond this. Also, the lower the baud rate, the higher the reliability. Thing to do is just try it out. Bear in mind that RS-232 uses a 9 pin connector, so depending on the flow control that the DCX uses (which I don't know off the top of my head) it will consume a number of your multicore cores and may introduce some digital noise. Might be better to run a dedicated RS-232 shielded cable alongside the audio multicore.

Just as an aside, one thing I got working (because I also have an Ultracurve DEQ2496) was to run an AES/EBU stereo feed down a 110 Ohm cable (DMX cable is right for this) from the Equaliser (mix position) into the DCX (on stage), as this frees up a couple of returns for monitors or stuff, avoids an extra DA/AD conversion and is potentially less prone to electrical noise interference.

Last thing - I saw Shez's reply and while you can link multiple DCX s together with RS485 (using Cat5) you either need an RS485 interface on your PC to use the controller software (not common!!), or use good ol' RS-232.

Cheers, Vince

I've seen RS232 sent down the multicore, to control minidrives. It got there alright and seemed to work, though it got takern out just before the gig because they had some sort of problems that they thought it might be causeing. I think they concluded that it was in fact absolutely nothing to do with the problem (and nor was my DMX line going down their multi that they made me rerun seperately at the same time), though I confess it was a long time ago and basicly the noise boys problem (I'm a lampy). I'm pretty sure the multi wasn't all of 50' long.

Hi There

We have a few of these units and they are great little things. If you wish to run cat5 down with the multi then the cheapest way to do this is to buy a spare unit and sit it in your front of house rack and use it to interface between rs232 and rs485.

You can still of course use the spare for delays or ties to the house PA etc. You might find this cheaper than a rs485 card for your laptop.

Chris

I have two of these and find them excellent. Initially I was suspicious that they would be any good given the price of them so I tested them on Precision Audo and Neutrik test systems against a number of other very expensive equivalents. Results? the DCX2496 was certainly as good as any of them and better in some respects.

Subjectively, the sound quality is good but some of the more expensive units seem smoother (but none compare with a good analogue unit such as Lab Gruppen). On FOH and monitor duty it's as good as it gets, on a full studio monitoring system, you can hear the conversion distortion. It is sensetive to level and works better when operated with as wider dynamic range as you can get, particularly a good level of input. Having said this, it will happily accept and produce about 20dB.

Reliability is OK, Ihave had some intermittent noise problems with one unit but as previously stated, they are so cheap you just carry a spare. I did have a look inside and the build quality is fine, not the most robust in the world but more than competent.

Flexibility and control is excellent, essentially I have not discovered anything that is wouldn't do that I would expect it to and it does quite a few things that some of the others don't that are useful such as dynamic EQ.

The remaining memory is worrying, but in practice I have only hit the buffers when the problems were so severe that any amount of EQ wasn't going to fix things.

I can't help you on the comms question, I don't use that bit. Howver I have a question here - why would you want to do this? ( there is probably a perfectly good reason that doesn't impinge on my use of the things )

So.... (out of ten)

Sound quality measured = 8

Sound quality heard = 7

Reliability = 6

Construction quality = 6

Flexibility = 8

Control = 9

Value for money = 9

Hope this helps...

Regards

Arnot

Jon,

The DCX will definitely do what you want and you'll find it quite easy to set that configuration up. I frequently use mine set like you describe. I've used it with the usual crossover fuctions, about 4 or 5 lumps of parametric eq plus delays and (protective) limiting, and it has never run out of digital steam. Quality-wise it just sounds like a piece of wire to me - completely transparent and that's using decent amps and speakers. (But then I've not used an XTA, Lake etc.)

Reliability - never had a crash, glitch or any other issue with it.

Can't comment about the remote control aspects as I haven't used those. I tend to move it as required; If its a straighforward subs and tops job, it sits in the amp rack on stage, if it's a more compex production involving delays and such, I have it FOH where I can tinker if necessary.

Pete.

My reason for wanting remote control is that it will be part of a pubs/small halls rig, and I will be using the eq on the inputs for basic room correction.

It is easiest to do this from FOH, but my multi only has 4 returns, 2 of which will be used for foldback sends, so ideally I want the unit seated in the amp rack. It will also (hopefully) make setup faster.

Archived