What does this guy mean by poly?

lonfire

hi guys,

somebody on another forum I post on, posted this:

First of all a analogue ‘mic’ line works at 32 poly’ meaning any 32 sounds at any one time… a ‘line’ line works at only 16 poly’ (a CD is only capable of 8 poly’, hence why DJ’s still opt for vinyl)… that’s a hole lot of ‘poly gap’ to be filled up with distortion if run a +dB. And it will harm your equipment over time.

I've never heard anybody talk about poly before.. is he just talking rubbish? they were talking about plugging a cd player into an old mixer amp..

rgds

chris

is he just talking rubbish?

Quite exquisite rubbish, but rubbish all the same. Whereas there are all sorts of perceptual issues concerning the ear-brain system, it is not explained in these terms.

It seems like the poster is amalgamating bit rate and the polyphony of keyboards....

Simon

That quote sounds like it belongs in the "Audiophile rubbish" thread, not in Sound!

As Simon says, the "poly" bit could be trying to apply the term "polyphony" to an analogue channel..but it has nothing to do with it. On the other hand, he could be talking about 32 bit recording vs. 16 bit...but again, these terms have nothing to do with analogue cabling.

I'm surprised he doesn't ask for "Polyfilla" for his "Poly gap". :)

Bob

thanks guys,

I thought that was the case, just wanted to make sure it wasn't some technical thing I'd not heard of..

funnier still he preceeded that statement with:

Please do not just connect your CD player into a mic/guitar socket ! I spent over 10years working as a stage engineer for the likes of Metalica, Take-That, Danny, G'n'R Pete Tong etc

rgds

chris

mic/guitar socket. He must have one of those boards with a set of guitar sockets. Personally I'd mic the cab up, or use a DI box and use the mic socket, but what do I know I haven't worked with the likes of Metallica, take-that, Danny, G'n'R Pete Tong. maybe they use different desks to me.

It might not be so bad just to come out of a guitar and straight into the line socket on a desk, I think thats how G'n'R did it as they use to mix themselves from stage on a MX3242X........ saved them hassle and saved them carrying guitar cabs about.

Rob

The initial post is the most tosh I've ever seen in one short paragraph. What runs down an audio line is 1 sound. It may, previously, have been 32 or 48 channels, but in order to run it down a "line" (to use his language), it has been mixed into 1 sound. Thus a mic line, a "line line", a channel of a CD and a channel of vinyl are all just 1 sound each.

I spent over 10years working as a stage engineer for the likes of Metalica, Take-That, Danny, G'n'R Pete Tong etc

I never thought I'd see Metalica and Take-That in the same sentence! :)

I don't suppose you'd fancy sharing the url of this gem of a forum so we could read some more?.........

hi,

its a fireworks forum, pay membership.. this is the only stupid PA related post, so far.. there are some guys on there that have been in broadcasting sound for years that are wetting themselfs (albeit privately by PM) about this thread.... very amusing.. ;-)

rgds

chris

Archived