Large industrial looking fans

Stutwo

Hope I'm in the right place here! I'm looking to source two large industrial fans, the sort that would rotate slowly inside their own casing, such as the ones commonly seen on TV sets such as the new lottery program. They look great when lit from behind. If anyone has any clue what I'm talking about and knows of them please let me know!

Whenever I see these fans on telly they are spinning inprobably slowly, which is what makes them look good. To make a real fan that big go that slow would need an inverter speed control. So if it were me I'd probably build a prop fan from scratch.

Is there some company out there making dummy fans...?

To add to what dbuckley has said, if you can get away with it then you'll probably be best off making flat blades. That way, you'll be able to drive the fan with a fairly low powered motor without encountering too much air resistance.

If you look to DIY then look at mirror ball motors or the little motors used in disco fittings see "motor, synchronous" in Keyword(s) on //rswww.com RS Stock no. 419-8274 looks OK if it comes back into stock. Real fans going that slow are likely being driven by the air flowing thru them. If you need slower look for a LF sig gen to give you 30 - 50 Hz or try for a motor with an attatchable gearbox. Sometimes the motors dont support much so fan bearings may be needed.

I thyink that motor would be a little small.

Something like 380-8728 is probably a bit too much power (but nothing wrong with that!) of power, fairly available on the second hand market (try Display Electronics, for example), and fairly quiet, but the wrong form factor, but would look better driving via a belt rather than direct drive.

Have a look here: http://www.distel.co.uk/DC_motors_geared.htm but watch out for excessive noise if that is important to your use!!!

Archived