Monitor/FOH desk

fogg

The LS9-32 only has 32 inputs, it has 64 channels so for pure monitor use you could only ever use 32 channels. The only use I can see for the 64 channels is for when you run FOH and monitors from the same board.

Although I haven't used the GL2800M I can understand why people are recommending it. With A&H GL series you get a good number of features for the price but compared to the mid range consoles you can hear the price in the sound. Someone mentioned that the monitor board may be used mainly for a house band? The LS9-32 may be well suited as the mixes can be stored and recalled, plus it has graphic EQ's on board.

I'm currently looking into replacing a GL2200 with either a Soundcraft MH2 or Midas Verona. The GL has done the job for the past five years, we're now just looking to improve the sound quality. Before anyone mentions "why don't you consider the M7CL?" the console is going into a church and we would like to stick to an analogue console to make things easier for the less experienced engineers.

I would strongly suggest demo-ing the LS9-32 from yamaha.

Its cheaper than a ML4000 - has a total of 64 inputs (on 2 pages, 32 channels at a time)

but only if you add extra hardware. You will need add on cards and external mic preamps to get up to 64. They are also so new that there aren't any around yet. I was told mid-November would be realistic.

If it's not going to be used by visiting artists and your looking for something at a reasonable price then I would suggest a look at the Soundcraft Spirit Monitor 2.

We have one in our hire stock for the smaller/lower budget gigs and it does exactly what it says on the tin, and has all the features you asked for and has never failed in any way once. I would say it's pretty equal in build quality to the A&H console you discuss and most engineers I've spoken to reckon it beats the A&H hands down on audio quality, but thats quite subjective and down to personal preference. Budget wise would come in at around the same price as the A&H as well.

Never used a Monitor II. used the 1st one, bomb proof like all of that range. It is an option I agree (although the previous comments of it are very true). I think for the extra money it may still be worth going for the A&H. it leaves alot of room to expand. but to quote..

the choice is yours

Hi Simon (et al)

I mixed my first session on an LS9 today. Its cool. It sounds EXACTLY like an M7CL..... I know this because I had them side by side in the classroom.

I get frustrated by the lack of touchscreen..... just like I do on PM5D !!!! Then I mix on PM5D and forget that the M7 has a touch screen :-)

You can expand LS9 mic pres past the 32 with Yammy AD8HR (8 channels at a time).

In fact the LS9 does have all the DSP in place to do 64 ins..... more than the M7CL (or PM5D) for that matter.

Come and play....

Cheers

Mark

I will agree with Mark on this one, The LS9 or the M7CL are well worth trying out for monitors. Its soo easy to mix monitors on the new Yammy digital desks and the M7 is proberly my first choice for monitors.

Give SFL a call, if your serious about buying they will give you a full demo and might even loan you it to try out in your venue.

Chris.

Yep,

Two of our pre-ordered LS9s are going into flightcases so we can send em out to people for demos and try outs. Even the 32 channel is small enough to chuck in the back of a car.

Call me / mail me or PM me if you would like to sign up.

Mark

Here is a hint.... there is even a PM5D that will fit into your car........ ;-) Look... no knobs.....

http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/products/mix...sp5d_dcu5d.html

I will agree with Mark on this one, The LS9 or the M7CL are well worth trying out for monitors. Its soo easy to mix monitors on the new Yammy digital desks and the M7 is proberly my first choice for monitors.

Give SFL a call, if your serious about buying they will give you a full demo and might even loan you it to try out in your venue.

Chris.

Archived