How to describe moving lights

Roderick

Start rant\

Maybe it is just me but I get really annoyed when people refer to moving / automated lights as 'intelligent'. They are not, they are just as stupid as your average PC or Mac, or any other electronic device and pretty much work on the CICO principle (Crap In / Crap Out). My favourite statement about them is, and I have forgotten the source unfortunately, "If these lights were intelligent, they would be lighting the show themselves and I would be in the pub". And they can't even make you a cup of tea!

Finish rant\

So how do you refer to these light fixtures? I like the term 'nodding buckets' but will accept 'moving lights', or 'movers' if you are on SMS.

What is the general consensus?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think they are intelligent if there going sound to light on the built in shows!

Nope, that's not intelligence ...

Intelligence is a property of mind that encompasses many related mental abilities, such as the capacities to reason, plan, solve problems, think abstractly, comprehend ideas and language, and learn.

In your scenario they are 'programmed'.

I think they are intelligent if there going sound to light on the built in shows!

Nope, that's not intelligence ...

Intelligence is a property of mind that encompasses many related mental abilities, such as the capacities to reason, plan, solve problems, think abstractly, comprehend ideas and language, and learn.

In your scenario they are 'programmed'.

but there more intelligent than say a par spot that is either on or off, the microprocessor inside decides what gobo to use etc.

but there more intelligent than say a par spot that is either on or off, the microprocessor inside decides what gobo to use etc.

Being pedantic here, but it doesn't "decide". It's purely random. Intelligence is much more than moving to random points and scrolling through gobo wheels.

Being pedantic here, but it doesn't "decide". It's purely random. Intelligence is much more than moving to random points and scrolling through gobo wheels.

Fair does but people who go to the clubs and who go to the shows wont know and they will think intelligent if you get me.

Just read what's being written. Intelligence is defined variously as

the ability to learn, understand and make judgments or have opinions that are based on reason
and
capacity for learning, reasoning, understanding, and similar forms of mental activity; aptitude in grasping truths, relationships, facts, meanings, etc.
and
the faculty of understanding
and
manifestation of a high mental capacity
and
the ability to learn or understand or to deal with new or trying situations

Have you ever encountered an automated lighting fixture which displays any of those attributes? No.

The simple fact that something performs a specific action in response to a command does NOT make it intelligent.

Guest lightnix
Automated lighting, or moving lights...

Those are the terms I use, too.

"Intelligent" lighting exists only in the dictionary of marketing-speak :unsure:

Archived