New mixer advice

misterbassman

.......... very keen on the Yamaha, especially as you can pick one up for £180 on eBay brand new, what are peoples opinion on these desks?

If you can afford the extra, stick with the soundcraft and allan and heath. Found this desk a little short on headroom, but reasonable for the cost. The only major gripe I've had with this desk is the illuminated "on" switches on each channel, found them too bright in dark environments, was difficult too see the pots. but that could just be my eyes :P

My daughter's high school has an MG board and it seems basically okay. I wouldn't be keen on the EQ section for any serious work though.

I agree with the posters who said that if the budget will stretch, Soundcraft or Allen & Heath are a step up sonically. Both have much better EQ...and I personally find 60mm faders more of a problem than others have said. I can be hard to make nice subtle adjustments on the shorter length.

Finally, a word of disagreement about the reliability and quality of the Soundcraft Spirit stuff...I prefer it to the Yamaha MG and have always found it a good workhorse.

(and I'm not a Yamaha basher....I love there more professional stuff, especially their digital mixers.)

Bob

I'd have to vote for the Yamaha desk. I worked for 16 weeks at a pub as the sound man for a battle of the bands, and they had one installed.

Compared to my Behringer I think the Yamaha sounded far more natrual, I find the Behringer a little harsh sounding. I nearly bought a Yamaha myself for small gigs.

I can't give any comparison to the Soundcraft because I've never actually used a Soundcraft desk, A+H obviously sounds great.

I find Behringer kit is fantastic for the money, if you look after it it can be pretty reliable too.

To take a bit of issue with the "Spirit are unreliable" sentiment, I've had one (8/2/1) in a school theatre (and you think touring is unforgiving?) for about 8 years and it hasn't had any problems, except one incident with Coke (liquid variety). Even this was easily repairable, just replace all the faders.

I have had problems with a 16/4/2 blowing caps on the group boards, this too is an easy fix as all the boards are separate.

YMMV :P

It took me 3 months to find the correct potentiometer to replace the master faders!

Was that 3 months from Soundcraft, or 3 months trying to find a part from a third party supplier?

Some manufacturers wil have parts made to fit the job, instead of using 'out of the catalogue' parts.

I have been quite impressed with the features and build quality of the Soundcraft E and M series.

I Emailed them a variety of times, then I tried to ring them and they said that the part was not stocked, I emailed alps who made the fader, the part was not manufactured anymore. So I was left to find the part myself. I cant remember where I got them from in the end, but I finally got some that were adequate, but not upto alps standard!

Archived