Flying people!

dave singleton

I went to see The Witches of Eastwick last night with my mum. She owns a dance school and has decided theres 1 song she wants to fly someone for, unfortunatly. Its going to be in the same theatre as last nights show, so its definatly feasable, but the cost concerns me somewhat.

Does anyone no a rough idea of the cost? I no all theres alot of factors, im just really interested right now in the direct cost of say using Fly By Foy.

The reason I havent just gone and asked for a quote straight away is because if its out of our league I dont want to waste a big companies time. I have also tried searching but cant seem to quite find any figures.

Thank you! :)

I went to see The Witches of Eastwick last night with my mum. She owns a dance school and has decided theres 1 song she wants to fly someone for,
Always a dangerous thing to do - let dance school principals see big budget shows!! :) I know this to my cost - we have a pretty high concentration of dance schools hereabouts!
Its going to be in the same theatre as last nights show, so its definatly feasable,
Just because it's 'feasible' for what is likely a full blooded show set, doesn't make it easy.
Does anyone no a rough idea of the cost?
How long is a piece of string....?

I've personally not been involved in too much flying, as our venue just doesn't have the height or basic capacity to support it, but have done the odd bit over the years elsewhere.

One thing's for sure - it WILL cost quite abit, because any reputable company (like Foy) will have top notch equipment to maintain, and a VERY strict safety regime. You'll most probably need to hire a rigger and operator as well, as it's not just something you can 'pick up'. It's one thing flying a piece of scenery on a standard lineset, but as soon as you put a live person on the end of a wire, the responsibilities, danger factors and (of course) insurance premiums will rocket!!

Unless your mum wants this as a DEFINITE need (rather than a whim) I'd tend to suggest she steers clear!

TD

It all depends on how long you need the gear for, and whether you need a straight lift (cheaper) or a track so that the person can fly across the stage (more expensive!). I worked on a show last year where we had a straight lift and a track from Foys for 3 weeks, and I believe it cost us somewhere in the region of £2-£2.5k. We did have a motor though, the lifts weren't manually controlled, so that will have added some cost to it. Depending on insurance, you may also have to pay the operators - I know that for insurance reasons our people-flying operators had to be in the employ of the building.

Something I forgot to add was that Foys (and the other companies too, I would imagine) pretty much need a whole day in the space with nothing else going on - they tend to rig the kit in the morning, and then spend a couple of hours with the operators and performers, choreographing and rehearsing the routines until everyone is happy. So you have to add another day's hire onto the venue hire costs.....

Useful links for you:

Foys

Freedom Flying

Hi Fli

Archived