Buying an MP2 or somthing like that

24seven

recently I have had a thought of buying my own martin MP2 for working on movers when I am away on the road .

the only thing that puts me off is the fact that recently I have had to work with alot of rigs that are not just martin but rigs full of robe fixtures .

anyone know of somthing like an mp2 that will cover most fixtures and help with servicing/testing ??

Mark W-E

Again I don't know of a unit that will do all fixtures, as mentioned above as manufacturers use proprietary software then it's unlikely you'll find something.

However if you are considering a Martin unit you might want to have a look at the DABS1 from Martin. It means you'll have to carry a laptop with you as well, but I think most of us do these days. It's also a lot less bulky than the MP-2 which is handy if your only going to use it occasionally and although I don't have a price for the DABS in front of me I suspect it will be significantly cheaper than the MP-2.

Again I don't know of a unit that will do all fixtures, as mentioned above as manufacturers use proprietary software then it's unlikely you'll find something.

However if you are considering a Martin unit you might want to have a look at the DABS1 from Martin. It means you'll have to carry a laptop with you as well, but I think most of us do these days. It's also a lot less bulky than the MP-2 which is handy if your only going to use it occasionally and although I don't have a price for the DABS in front of me I suspect it will be significantly cheaper than the MP-2.

Yeh was looking at that a moment ago but I think all that does is update software the trick I like about the mp2 is that you can do a few other things that would me much more useful if the light is in the rig or I have alot of lights to prep in one day if you see what I mean ...........

I will have to read up bout it a bit more when I get home...........shame I couldnt get to plasa this year

mark

One problem I have with the MP-2 is although it has remote fixture menus, it doesn't receive any feedback from the fixture. So when you first open up the menus for a fixture there all at default settings not nessacarily where the fixtures are at.

One problem I have with the MP-2 is although it has remote fixture menus, it doesn't receive any feedback from the fixture. So when you first open up the menus for a fixture there all at default settings not nessacarily where the fixtures are at.

Yes I sat playing with one today with a different eye if you know what I mean not as effective as I thought ah well it was a thought .

Mark

Why not one of These - easily portable and only £75 - you can even use it as a back up desk! :angry:

Even as a cheap DMX Tester (which is a thought that crossed my mind) it's pretty useless:-

16 channels per fixture

Excludes more and more fixtures these days!

Archived