Bridge for School Play

alangeering

I'm writing on behalf of my little sister who's been asked about a stage bridge. Obviously she's not silly enough to think she can build a safe scaff bridge... but she'd like suggestions as to how to make and where to get a bridge from.

Desired staging:

Stairs from half way up stage-stage right to rear of stage, raised platform across back of stage. Stairs stage-left from platform at rear of stage to half way up stage. See diagram Below

Plan:

USR						 USL

-------------------------------
----					   ----
----					   ----
----					   ----
----					   ----
SR						   SL

DSR						 DSL

Audience view:

/|\
	  /\
----					   ----
----		 0			 ----
-SR-		/|\			-SL-
----		 /\			----
------------ STAGE ------------

The requirement is that acrtors be able to cross the full length of the platform.

The intention is that actors be able to enter at stage level from USR and USL (under/behind platform).

This is all I've been told as it's all the drama teacher has told my sister. In fact the drama teacher seems not to have even decided which play she's doing!!

Given its a school I doubt the budget would be very high.

Suggestions for companies in the NW that the school could approach for a quote would be useful.

Tips on how to do it all or any particular staging solutions already out there also appreciated.

Thanks

There are many possible solutions to this problem. I assume that as people are shown under the bridge, it is to be at least 6ft ish high.

Depending on the budget, three solutions could be:

1. Scaffold structure - get the teacher to ring round for some quotes (once dimensions are sorted out!) - SGB and the like. I doubt it would be cheap.

2. Steeldeck/Litedeck - If you know what you are doing, this could be a very feasible option cost wise.

3. Stage Systems style decking (which is very common in schools) would be the budget option.

Don't forget any necessary handrails etc.

The main issue is how large a "bridge" span you require. If it is particularly large then you will no doubt be into the realms of scaffolding, which in this case is best left to the professional.

Above are just a few possible ways of tackling the problem. If budget is a real issue, then it is worth having a word with local schools to see if they have any staging available - you can probably come up with some sort of solution, even if it is quite a bit different to what you describe above.

David

Have a chat with the kind people at Litestructures.

I've built similar while at Uni using Litedeck - although we didn't have people entering from under the 'bridge', which made bracing the structure much easier.

A word of warning - this is NOT going to be cheap.

2 scaff towers and a bridge is not a complete budget killer - Even at full price from HSS, 2 towers and 1 bridge unit up to 2m high and 4.8m wide would cost you £240 for the week and should be discounted by at least 30%

http://www.hss.com/c/1015333/Tower_Bridge_Deck.html

http://www.hss.com/g/80200/Alloy_Span_Tower_Addit_1_0m.html

C

My school built a two storey house once for a play.

They tried a scaffolding skeleton but it was unstable so we just used a lot of Dexion.

It will make a big difference whether the bridge can be supported at intervals. Even a (thin) post every six feet or only supported at the back (and paint the post the same colour as the backcloth) makes making the bridge strong and stable a lot easier.

Of course now we are into the Nanny state of H&S it may prove impossible to build it yourself as you can't prove that it's safe.

I've just noticed that it's for a school play, and this may mean that you are be able to do it at all.

Children under 16 are strictly prohibited from working at a height.

You may have noticed some children acting at a height on shows like Mary Poppins, but they were always closely supervised by an adult while doing so.

Also, the 'commercial scaff tower and bridge' method requires that someone competent assemble the tower in the first place.

Unless you've actually got trained scaffolders available, you'd have to pay someone to erect it.

On top of that, you need some form of access into the tower - on a dark stage the built-in ladders are not going to be suitable, especially if children are climbing it.

This is all I've been told as it's all the drama teacher has told my sister. In fact the drama teacher seems not to have even decided which play she's doing!!

I think drama teachers have something going on with the scaffold industry, they must get taught at uni.

I have been in to light so many school shows where they go " this is the stage and we are having a big bridge built here out of scaff and thats taking us over budget" then it can't be dressed due to lack of funds props, sound and lighting all suffer just so there can be some scaff for no reason!

rant over.

so I would ask your sister to ask the drama teacher what the purpose of the bridge is and could a smiler effect be created using some rostrum to give hight?

make sure he/she knows that it will wipe out all budget and make the show look poo.

Pete

I've just noticed that it's for a school play, and this may mean that you are be able to do it at all.

Children under 16 are strictly prohibited from working at a height.

So no diving boards, no gym equipment, no standing on the balcony overlooking the sports hall, no standing on the edge of the stage?

If the set can be build safely, and the insurance company are happy - then there isn't a problem. Plenty of stage sets include an 'upstairs' now - as long as they are properly produced, maintained and monitored all is well.

The issue here is with the interpretation that children on stage are working. If they are 'working' then even in a school, a childrens licence will be required. the fact that school production don't normally have to have such a licence is an indication the authorities don't consider school activities as work - so by inference, the working at height regulations

The WaH regs do, at first glance seem to indicate that the stage edge would really need hand rails and toe boards, and some of the contents suggest that anything people could get injured falling off is banned - this isn't quite the case. The provisions require interpretation by legal experts, of which I'm sure we don't have very many on the BR, and ultimately to be tested in court. It's clear the regulations were not designed with stage sets as an exception, so it really is untested waters. Accidents do happen, and people get injured falling from stage sets. A broken back happened at one of the theatres here - the person is in a chair for life. The insurance company paid the price, but to the best of my knowledge, nobody in that legal case sued the working at height regulations.

So, care needs taking, paperwork and testing carried out. A few pieces of steeldeck would make an interesting bridge set - and I'd be quite happy doing it. Juliet's balcony is a pretty common one for this kind of thing.

I'm writing on behalf of my little sister who's been asked about a stage bridge.

Bit of a regular posting for me, but as this is the company I know and work with quite regularly I'll post it anyway.

Showtech in Nuneaton can supplu decking with suitable ally scaff legs and support struts to do what you need using a basic 2m x 1m decking section. They can also supply sturdy stairs and handrail options. he supplies various venues nationally so down south shouldn't be a big problem. He can also arrange a couple of guys to come down and erect/dismantle if required at normal labour costs.

However, if this is really a bridge (that can be walked under) then bear in mind that there will be scaff supports every 2 metres, with support bars in place as well.

I've seen this used for a dance school rear raise quite safely (only 4 ft high tho).

Tony

I would agree with several other posters - build it from steeldeck or similar and use the handrails and stairs that steeldeck and many other companies can supply to fit their structures.

I've built a similar thing for several drama school shows and as long as there are enough handrails to stop the little darlings falling off and a proper risk assessment then it is possible.

• 2 weeks later...
A few years ago our drama teacher decided to do the same sort of thing for the Scottish Play. After much toothsucking and shaking of the head we did a risk assessment. Our chosen course was to specify a maximum number of students who would be on the structure at one time and what we would be expecting them to do. We also specified maximum and minimum heights for the bridge. We then got in touch with an ex-con, sorry ex-student, who set us up with a properly constructed, ticketed and insured piece of scaffolding for about £300. To be honest I think the structure he put up would have supported the whole school dancing the hokey-cokey all at once. Access was by two sets of stairs. It was a goodwill thing because he'd been in shows when he was with us. I guess it would have been three or four times the price if it had been a commercial transaction. If I can get a picture I'll post it.

Archived