zero88 betapack

jhaynes199

One of my Betapacks (the old school version with the channel test pot) when switched on keeps channel 5 permanantly at 60ish percent. I've soldered out the old test pot and replaced it with a new one but the problem is still there.

Anyone have any ideas? I think the next thing may have to be to take out the variable resistor but don't really want to do that if there is an easier solution.

Thanks a lot.

One of my Betapacks (the old school version with the channel test pot) when switched on keeps channel 5 permanantly at 60ish percent. I've soldered out the old test pot and replaced it with a new one but the problem is still there.

Anyone have any ideas? I think the next thing may have to be to take out the variable resistor but don't really want to do that if there is an easier solution.

Thanks a lot.

What do you mean by 'the old school version'? Mk 1 BetaPacks always had a channel test switch, on Mk 2 Beta's there are test buttons per channel. Should you really be desoldering stuff inside this unit without a circuit diagram?

There are two common faults with Betapacks - first is the Sync resistors dying, you can test this by checking if channel 6 is on as well. If Channel 6 isn't stuck on too then it might well be the Triac for channel 5 gone short circuit - but as you seem to think it's at 60% this might not be the case!

I think, to save your time and patience that you would be better off searching out your local Zero88 dealer and ask if they can repair it if for you - or contact Keith at Zero88 and ask him to recommend a local dealer who can do the repair for you. I would recommend ourselves but we may not be that convenient for you!

Do you meant the version with the rotary test switch or the version with the local slide faders?

http://common.zero88.com/public/images/Beta1Family.jpg

You say you replaced the pot. With the pot out of circuit did the fault go away? Is the faulty channel always at 60% or can you make it go to 100% if you put the fader up?

Do you meant the version with the rotary test switch or the version with the local slide faders?

You say you replaced the pot. With the pot out of circuit did the fault go away? Is the faulty channel always at 60% or can you make it go to 100% if you put the fader up?

Yes, with the rotary test switch. You can make it go to 100% by putting it up on the desk, which I only found out after resoldering the test switch.

As Ian has said if it is only channel 5 that is stuck on the chance it that it's the triac for the channel having failed.

Can't be as you can increase the intensity from 60% to 100% by using an external desk, so its all basically working.

Cant find the betapack schematic at the mo, so I can't remember whether the preheat is common to the channels, or individual, but if individual, thats where I'd look first, otherwise, schematic, isolating transformer and scope.

Archived